Want to go Pure Ubuntu. Just preparing

Soldato
So I'm finally going to dump Windows and go Ubuntu 64 on my main PC. Where's the best place to find drivers for my GA-G33M-DS2R motherboard? I assume getting the latest Geforce 8 series drivers will be easy. I'm struggling to find mobo drivers even after Googling for them. I'm still new to Ubuntu. I just love using it on my netbook. :D

Associate
I would not go for the 64bit version to be honest, the support isn't very good for 64bit at the minute. For example you have to do a bit of work to get flash working on it, and there is also some aplications that have not got 64bit applications out. Try the 64bit on a live cd first to see if it does what you want and everything is working. If not go for 32bit it has far better support.

As for motherboard drivers, you shouldn't need them. Once the installation is finished everything should be working automatically without doing anything. Ethernet, sound etc will all work out of the box.

What you do need drivers for though will be a graphics card if you have one, like all applications in ubuntu you dont need to go scaring the Internet to find them, if you go to administration>hardware drivers it should auto detect the best drivers for you and you can install from there.

Then once your up an running go to the ubuntu software store in the menu to install all the applications you require.

Associate
As above the nVidia drivers in Ubuntu are fairly straightforward.

There should be an icon along the top bar near the clock, something like 'Allow restricted drivers' Change that and you should be good to go.

JC

JC

Soldato
I have been using 64bit Ubuntu for nearly 2 years on the GA-G33M-DS2R. I haven't upgraded to 10.04 version yet though, but haven't faced any issues.

You don't need motherboard drivers. Onboard sound/ethernet etc all work out the box.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I would not go for the 64bit version to be honest, the support isn't very good for 64bit at the minute. For example you have to do a bit of work to get flash working on it

What, you mean hard work like installing the restricted-extras package? Worked for me with no mucking around anyway.

Associate
I would not go for the 64bit version to be honest, the support isn't very good for 64bit at the minute. For example you have to do a bit of work to get flash working on it, and there is also some aplications that have not got 64bit applications out.

I didn't even spot that - a load of rubbish from start to finish.

Associate
I didn't even spot that - a load of rubbish from start to finish.

I'm sorry but I'm just giving my experience with 64bit ubuntu. Even up to recently on 10.04 the ethernet on my desktop motherboard doesn't work out of the box on 64bit and also on my "ubuntu compatible" dell laptop the wifi was also not working out of the box on 64bit, but both work on 32bit.

I did over exaggerate by saying "the support isn't very good". But there is still some hardware issues with 64bit compared to 32bit.

From the OP he mentions he is new to ubuntu and I don't think most people new to linux will want to be typing obscure commands to get something to work. If someone came up to me tomorrow who had only windows experience and they don't have all intel chipsets on their motherboard I'd recommend 32bit every time.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
What are these "obscure commands" to get flash installed on Ubuntu 64bit? Just installing the restricted-extras package from the Software Centre (which you have to do on 32bit as well!) does the job.

What hardware problems are there? My USB wireless dongle works straight away (some crappy Belkin thing). My 3G modem dongle works with a tiny bit of persuasion (actually works perfectly on the LiveCD, so pretty sure it's just something I'm doing wrong). My printer works out of the box. Alright, so the ATi drivers still suck for my graphics card - but they suck whether on 32bit or 64bit.

What motherboard are you using that gives you trouble zinc?

Suspended
I do wonder if people posting in these help threads actually have a clue what they're talking about, or just like the attention? As others have posted, 64 bit Linux is fine, end of chat.

The OP can give Ubuntu a go, or try Mint which has more installed by default. I am an Ubuntu fan boy myself, installing the codecs etc. is a very simple task.

Associate
I just switched from Ubuntu 64 to 32. I just kept coming across things that did not work correctly in 64: talktalks flash speed test app was the final straw. Couldn't be happier with Ubuntu 32 though, ditched windows 7 completely once I found Bibble to replace Lightroom, if only there was a onenote replacement...

edit... thinking back, it was probably the only thing that did not work, just at a crucial time

Last edited:
Soldato
Why would you NOT run a 64bit os these days?

People who use older hardware to run linux and don't have a 64bit CPU most likely which counts for a large percentage of Linux users I would imagine (those types that throw linux on to older hardware rather than throw the hardware out)

Back
Top Bottom