Self Harm and Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Hypothetically speaking, if someone self harmed in December 08/January 09 but didn't go the Doctors about it, would you be able to get a medical note confirming you suffered health problems (read:MENTAL) at this point in time? If the person could show the Doctor the many, many self harm marks on their forearms?

I ask because, hypothetically, what if someone needed to - unfortunately - prove that they suffered from "health related" issues at this point in time but have no current documented evidence.

Anyone have experience/knowledge?

This is not a troll, but a serious question.

Permabanned
OP
All you can do is talk to the doctor really, I highly doubt anyone on here will be able to help.

Exactly. But Hypothetically the person would want to know if he/she can acquire what they need before declaring said mental issues on their record. One without the other is not worth it.

Permabanned
I would guess that it would depend on the GP.

It would be difficult to prove when the self harming took place, though, so the issue would be whether the person in question still has mental health issues.

Personally, I would advise the person to see a doctor anyway.

Associate
Hypothetically speaking, if someone self harmed in December 08/January 09 but didn't go the Doctors about it, would you be able to get a medical note confirming you suffered health problems (read:MENTAL) at this point in time? If the person could show the Doctor the many, many self harm marks on their forearms?

I ask because, hypothetically, what if someone needed to - unfortunately - prove that they suffered from "health related" issues at this point in time but have no current documented evidence.

Anyone have experience/knowledge?

This is not a troll, but a serious question.

Ring NHS Direct or a volunteer organisation who deal specifically with depression/self harm.

They really would be able to help better than anyone on any forums plus you won't get trolls making stupid posts.

Permabanned
OP
In my hypothetical situation, the person is fine now and doesn't consider his/herself as needing any medical help. However, because there is a need to prove the reasons for dropping out of a hypothetical university course... it's almost necessary to somehow get the doctor to write a note about the past.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour

Um...no. Having had more than one close family member suffer from mental health issues (including self-harming) I know only too well the destructive effects it can have on a family and indeed the individual concerned. I made a light-hearted throw-away comment, I was not 'trolling'.

Permabanned
OP
Um...no. Having had more than one close family member suffer from mental health issues (including self-harming) I know only too well the destructive effects it can have on a family and indeed the individual concerned. I made a light-hearted throw-away comment, I was not 'trolling'.

I couldn't care less, mainly because I respect your correct usage of hyphens.

Associate
In my hypothetical situation, the person is fine now and doesn't consider his/herself as needing any medical help. However, because there is a need to prove the reasons for dropping out of a hypothetical university course... it's almost necessary to somehow get the doctor to write a note about the past.

I realise you're saying the person may not believe they need any help now but it maybe worth speaking to one of the helplines as a first step since they will have first hand experience with this type of situation. I'm sure they've heard of many people in similar circumstances.

Even if it's a friend doing it for them if they are uncomfortable with the idea of it..

Associate

Ok, I apologise but usually someone simply putting "Emo" in a thread about self harm I would associate with a troll post.

Associate
most GPs would be able to sympathise, and maybe write a supporting letter, but its down to the faculty at the uni to listen and try and help -
documentary evidence would be more powerful, eg attendance to A&E, assessment by mental health team, antidepressant medications, police reports of any calls to the address etc

Soldato
No. If you did not see a doctor about it at the time they will not be able to officially confirm that you suffered problems on those specific dates.
this

The only exception would be if the person had seen the GP or another doctor for that problem recently prior to the dates in question, and at review they were still suffering from the problems - in that case it may be possible to write a sick note confirming illness during the period in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom