Spec me a workhorse

Associate
Hello.

I'm building a box around the new Westmere CPUs and want the following,

2x 3.33s (6 core jobbies)
12 or 24GB (probably 3/6x4)

Disk I/O isn't important for what this will be used for so I'm happy to run with standard SATA 'desktop' disks. Graphics not important either, it'll be headless.

Rackmount case ideal but not imperative, standard ATX tower is fine too.

I've noticed OcUK don't sell any of this stuff so name me some components to buy...

For info, I've had a quote on such a server and it's five figures. Beat that.

Thanks!

Associate
Something like, a Intel S5520SC, coupled with your chips, and a 5u case, that'd set you back 3.4K (from a competitor), then, 1.4k on 24GB of ECC RAM from Crucial, topped off with a 1kW PSU, then slap in there whatever you want in the way of disks. Should come to just slightly under the five figure number you had quoted.

I'd trust an Intel board over a Tyan or any other make, Crucial are tried and tested.

Oh, and hi, not sure if you remember me, but yeah... #cstrike.uk, redlan, **** etc. :)

Associate
OP
Yes, I do. Hello :)

5U?! The 3.33 box I have at the moment is in a nice, compact, 2U case :) Does it really need a 1kW PSU too considering it's just going to be 2x CPUs and a pair of HDDs?

Associate
Every server I work on that's running that substantial amount of hardware usually comes with a beefy psu, and there was a 2u case on the same site, but again anything I've worked with that's high powered comes in a big case :)

You still down in Kent ? I think I saw you up bluewater one time with your missus ages ago, but again that was ages ago and I was too scared of rejection to say hi in case you didn't remember me :'(

Back
Top Bottom