Two Routers on Network, one works fine, other can see internet but not rest of networ

Associate
Hi All,

I've just put another wireless N router into my network to improve the coverage in my house.

While anything connected to this second router can get to the internet, none of the connected PC's can see anything else on the network.

Also PC's connected to the primary router can't see anything off the other router.

The set up is

Virgin Media 50MB broadband connected into D-Link Wireless Router. Connected items, WHS, Main PC and other router.

Second Wireless Router Linksys connected by Cat5e cable to one of the outputs from the D-Link router.

Are there any specific settings I need to make to the routers so that they can both see everything attached on the network? I really need the PC's / Devices that connect to the second (Linksys) router to be able to see the WHS.

Cheers for any help

Taff

Associate
OP
Hi Robbie,

Thanks for the quick feedback.

No DCHP was not disabled, so have now set DCHP Server = Disabled.

Have rebooted the Router and the PC's connected and still can't see the rest of the network.

Though there is another setting for DHCP under Internet connection type

This is currently set to Auto Config - DCHP

With options for
Static IP
PPoE
PPTP
L2TP
Telstra cable

Do I also need to change this?

First routers IP is 192.168.0.1
Second routers IP is 192.168.1.1

The subnets are the same 255.255.255.0

and the IP ranges allocated by both routers are different

Cheers for any further help you can give.

Cheers

Taff

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Why are you using 2 subnets? Just change the IP's on the second router into the same as first, i.e. 192.168.0.0/24 and that should work.

Associate
OP
Why are you using 2 subnets? Just change the IP's on the second router into the same as first, i.e. 192.168.0.0/24 and that should work.

Hi

Don't know why two subsnets are being used, that's the default when I installed the second router.

For some reason the second router won't allow me to change the IP's to the same range as the first. Though it does look like I can change the DHCP range on the first router, should I change that to match the second routers range?

Cheers

Taff

Caporegime
Hi

Don't know why two subsnets are being used, that's the default when I installed the second router.

For some reason the second router won't allow me to change the IP's to the same range as the first. Though it does look like I can change the DHCP range on the first router, should I change that to match the second routers range?

Cheers

Taff

What's the DHCP range of the first router? As above the second router needs to be 192.168.0.200 or something. When you say 'the second router won't allow me to change the IP's to the same range as the first', what exactly is preventing you? Is there just no option to change? It needs to be outside of router 1's DHCP range but on the same subnet.

The reason it's not working at the moment is that there are effectively two separate networks configured.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
First router range

192.168.0.100 -> 192.168.0.199

Second router range

192.168.1.100 -> 192.168.1.149

On the second router the option to change the range is greyed out, it only becomes available if I turn on the DCHP Server, and even then it only allows the changing of the 4th part (currently 100), and not the rest of the range.

So do I need to change the first router have it's range as 192.168.1.100 -> 192.168.1.149 so they are then in the same network?

Cheers for all your help so far.

Taff

Associate
OP
Ah, ok, think I'm starting to understand. I have to get the second routers IP address into the range of the first router rather than the IP range of connected devices.

Can you confirm?

That I can change.

Cheers

Taff

Soldato
Nope, just pick one.

I have my main firewall router DHCP 10-100, the 2nd is used as a wireless AP at 150 (End 3 numbers)
I have a linksys, but it has DDRT firmware on it so cannot help setting it up past that!
The cable connecting them is plugged into one of the standard ports right? Do not plug anything into the WAN port. This will not work.
DHCP is only for allocating IP address to device which request them.

Associate
No, think you should be setting the 2nd router to have a static IP of something like 192.168.0.2, with it's DHCP server set to off. If you put the IP in the range of the 1st router's DHCP address pool, then it could allocate the same IP as the 2nd router is using.
Also suggest you set the network IDs and channels to be different between routers (and channels different by more than 3)

Soldato
The cable connecting them is plugged into one of the standard ports right? Do not plug anything into the WAN port.

That's not strictly true, if the wan ip was 192.168.0.x and the lan was 192.168.1.x then it would have worked, that's what router's do... they route.

Indeed.

router 1: 192.168.0.1 - DHCP on
router 2: 192.168.0.2 - DHCP off

restart both if needed, and it should work.

^this is the answer.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's not strictly true, if the wan ip was 192.168.0.x and the lan was 192.168.1.x then it would have worked, that's what router's do... they route.

Yes it would 'work' because as you said that is what routers do, they route traffic from a local network to another network, the thing is though is that in this situation you don't need 2 networks, all he wants the 2nd router to do is extend his WiFi and for that you can simply ignore the WAN port and keep everything to a single subnet.

Also there is the issue of connecting to other computers on a separate subnet, computers in the 1.x range can use their default gateway (the 2nd router) to get to an external network (0.X) but wouldn't there be a problem that 0.X devices couldn't send any data back, as they would see a different subnet and so try to send the data out the default gateway (router 1) but that router wouldn't know how to get to 1.X and just set the data out the default route which would be the internet. From my understanding the only way this setup would work is if router 1 had a route set in the routing table for 192.168.1.0/24.

Anyway, back to the original querstion. Make sure both routers are on the same subnet, make sure one doesn't have DHCP enable, make sure router 2 is connected to the network via it's switch ports, not its WAN port and that should sort it all out.

Associate
OP
Hi Guys.

Sorry for not replying sooner, work, family etc commitments have stopped me looking at this until this morning.

Thanks for all the replies and help provided so far.

Unfortunately having tried the suggestions above, I've still not been able to get this to work.

I'll run through what I've tried as it's probably be me missing a change and I'll provide more info on the set up.

First the 1st router is a D-Link DIR-655
The 2nd router is a Linksys WRT120N

The D-Link is connecting on output 4 via cat5 to the Internet (WAN?) port on the Linksys router. PhillyDee seems to suggest this is wrong, should I connect the input from the D-Link to one of the outputs of the Linksys?

So this morning I have tried to follow the steps above.

I've changed the DHCP setting on the Linksys to Disabled.
I also changed the IP address of this router to 192.168.0.2 as suggested.

Rebooted all PC's and routers.

Logged back into PC connected to Linksys router and couldn't connect to internet or see any of the rest of the network.

I tried to access the Linksys routers menu, via 192.168.0.2 and also via 192.168.1.1 and couldn't access it.

Rebooted again, no success.

In the end had to hard reset the linksys router to get back to original settings. Tried steps again and still failed.

It's probably me doing something very simple, very wrong.

So questions
Do I need to change where the Cat5 cable connects into the Linksys router from the Internet port to one of the output ports
The IP Address of the D-Link router is 192.168.0.1 - This should not be changed.
The IP Address of the Linksys router is 192.168.1.1 - This should be changed to 192.168.0.2
When I disable the DHCP and change the IP address of the linksys router, do I need to set the Internet type on the router to be Static IP.
The DHCP IP Address range of the D-Link router is 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.199, do I need to change this.
The DCHP IP Address range of the Linksys router is not to be amended, I can't change this when I disable DHCP.
On the D-Link Router, the WAN Subnet is 255.255.252.0 and the Lan subnet is 255.255.255.0, do these need to change?
On the Linksys router the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, does this need to change?
On the linksys router the NAT setting is enabled, does this need to be disabled?

Sorry for the long list of questions, but I seem to be struggling with this so though it was best to try to list everything down.

Cheers again for everyone's help I really appreciate it.

Taff

Associate
Do I need to change where the Cat5 cable connects into the Linksys router from the Internet port to one of the output ports
Yes
The IP Address of the D-Link router is 192.168.0.1 - This should not be changed.
Correct
The IP Address of the Linksys router is 192.168.1.1 - This should be changed to 192.168.0.2
Correct
When I disable the DHCP and change the IP address of the linksys router, do I need to set the Internet type on the router to be Static IP.
You're just using the Linksys as a glorified switch/access point, the address it has for its WAN interface doesn't matter.
The DHCP IP Address range of the D-Link router is 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.199, do I need to change this.
No
The DCHP IP Address range of the Linksys router is not to be amended, I can't change this when I disable DHCP.
That's fine.
On the D-Link Router, the WAN Subnet is 255.255.252.0 and the Lan subnet is 255.255.255.0, do these need to change?
No, leave them be.
On the Linksys router the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, does this need to change?
No, leave it be.
On the linksys router the NAT setting is enabled, does this need to be disabled?
Doesn't matter.

You pretty much had everything right, just connecting to the wrong port on the Linksys.

Soldato
As for not being able to access the linksys router after changing its IP, what most likely happen is that the PC you was trying to access it with was still on the 192.168.1.x network, which means it wouldn't be able to connect to the router. Make sure that the device you are using to connect to the routers management page is on the same subnet as the router, so if you change the router to 192.168.0.x make sure that the device also is on that same IP range, otherwise you won't be able to connect to it.

Associate
OP
Excellent,

Thanks all, made the changes suggested and it now all works.

As always, if you need help in sorting something out the Overclockers forums are the place to get it.

Have a great day guys, Now I can finish off the rest of the set up.

Cheers

Taff

Back
Top Bottom