Dell 2209wa and Xbox 360

Associate
Hey all,

Just bought an Xbox (again) and I am attempting to connect it using a VGA cable that plugs into the monitor. Trouble is it gets no signal from the Xbox and goes into power saving mode. I was considering getting a hdmi>DVI cable but would really like to try and get this working before spending the extra cash.

I have probably missed something obvious but as far as I can tell it should work :confused: Any ideas?

Nick

Associate
Not sure about this but worth a try, i think you need to configure the Xbox to output over VGA. Can you try hooking it up using scart first and navigate to the option screen.

Associate
OP
Hey Da[]San, thanks for the reply. That sounds like the right thing to do, trouble is I can't configure the VGA on the TV as they both use the same connector in the back. They can't both be plugged in at the same time :(

Might try fumbling around on the blank screen and figure out the button presses, not sure what else to do.

Nick

Associate
OP
Just a note for anyone encountering similar problems with Dell screens, with my screen the solution was to lower the sharpness to below 30, after doing this I was able to get a signal from the Xbox.

Thanks,
Nick

Associate
Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I have a question for bl4ckle. How are you getting on with your xbox connected to the Dell? I'm thinking to do the same but worried about distortion in the display as the Dell 2209WA doesn't support 1:1 pixel mapping and the aspect ratio is 16:10 compared to the xbox's 16:9

Soldato
Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I have a question for bl4ckle. How are you getting on with your xbox connected to the Dell? I'm thinking to do the same but worried about distortion in the display as the Dell 2209WA doesn't support 1:1 pixel mapping and the aspect ratio is 16:10 compared to the xbox's 16:9

Apologies, as I can't answer your question (I have a 2209WA, but no games consoles).

However, I would suggest you have a look at the new Dell U2211H and U2311H monitors. These are the new generation of Dell eIPS monitors and they are both 16:9 aspect ratio and 1080p resolution, they are 21.5in and 23in respectively.

I imagine one of these monitors would fit your needs better as they use the same high quality panel type as the 2209WA, but have the correct resolution and aspect ratio for HD console connection. Here is a review of 23in and here is a review of the 21.5in.

Associate
Ah thanks for the input, unfortunately I'm a current owner of the 2209WA :D hence the question. Upon further research it does appear the Xbox supports 1680x1050 (as of late 2008) and will output by adding a top and bottom black border (letterbox) to maintain the 16:9 aspect ratio monitors that have an aspect ratio of 16:10. So good news for those who don't have 1:1 pixel mapping !

I will say the new U2211H and U2311H monitors are lovely, the 2209WA has completely won me over to Dell, so I'll definitely be sticking to their e-IPS panels should I need another in the future.

Soldato
Ah, didn't realise you already had one. Though it is very good to hear it will work with the Xbox :)

I must admit, I have also been won over to the dell side. So far I have owned a 2408WFP, 2209WA (its my sisters, but I paid for it :)) and my current 2709W, all have been excellent and the customer service has been fantastic (each of the monitors has been replaced once, and it was no bother every single time).

Back
Top Bottom