• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Another feather in Nvidia's Cap!

Permabanned
The 10.6 drivers are broken for Crossfire users.

which incidently if you look at the release notes, is where all the otimisations where!

Makes you think, did they test the drivers at all!

Tri-fire crossfire x works fine here in batman and JC2 and Other games

I had issues untill i reinstalled windows with 10.6 and now none of the issues :D

Associate
Tbh I loved my 7900 GTO when I bought it, and I love my 5870 now.

Just get what you think is the best value within your budget at the time - I have no loyalty to one brand. My last 4 cards have gone Nvidia, ATi, Nvidia, ATi.

Soldato
To be fair, I've had more issues with ATI drivers with my 4850, 4890 then 5850 than my Brother had with his 9800GT, then 9800GT SLI.

The 4890 is now his, and it wouldn't run very well with anything past 10.3 drivers (haven't tried 10.6 yet though). 10.5 would give horrendous artifacts in Fallout 3 on the water, and in ME2 everywhere. Reverted to 10.3, and voila, gone. 10.4s wouldn't install properly either, every time there was an 'error in installation', and the log wouldn't open to let me know what it is.

I had problems with 10.4 and 10.5 drivers with my 5850, though 10.3 betas were rock solid.

To be honest. I now see drivers as a bit like a BIOS update. You don't bother, unless you need something that a later driver includes.

I think with the nVidia driver release that stopped fan profiles working was only limited to a few batches of cards with certain BIOSes, most were unaffected AFAIK.

Soldato
OP
I thought it was common knowledge that VLC sucked? MPC-HC all the way.

To be honest I do not know if VLC can do anything MPC can not or vice versa.

VLC, doesnt suck that bad. Its a nice self contained open source media player.

As for media player classic, the reason I dont like it, is that windows Pc's already have a microsoft media player, so VLC is something distinctly different.:p

Man of Honour
What's the problem again? some xfire problems and VLC player not working, wow major problems :rolleyes: nearly as bad as Nvidia's GFX card killing drivers that turned fans speed down at high temps, 10.6 working fine here on single 5870, big song and dance over nothing.

Regarding VLC player, it's obvious it's on there end that needs fixing, plenty of other players out there that decode no problem on ATI hardware and for them to suggest ATI needs to fix its windows drivers is just LoL. Looks like a PR exercise on behalf of Nvidia. And they could'nt find a cheap mobo with Intel GFX on board to allow decoding on the millions of integrated Intel chips out there says it all really.

Compare and contrast... nVidia screwed up badly with those drivers but they pulled them within minutes of the issue being discovered and had fixed drivers out inside 2 days. ATI have known about these video playback issues for months and done nothing - its not just VLC thats affected, problems with video decoding/playback especially related to rendering with a hardware surface affect other software too - its just VLC is one of the most high profile. When they say they can't get access to intel hardware they are talking about documentation, instrumented drivers, etc. not just having the hardware to play with.

Last edited:
Associate
As for media player classic, the reason I dont like it, is that windows Pc's already have a microsoft media player, so VLC is something distinctly different.:p
Yeah but the windows one grew a skin of hell and hid all use useful context menus. Just try finding "properties" for an open video to get some basic codec info!

Among other things, MPC/MPC-HC has bindable keys/mouse buttons, great for optimising the home theatre experience.

Soldato
ATI have known about these video playback issues for months and done nothing - its not just VLC thats affected, problems with video decoding/playback especially related to rendering with a hardware surface affect other software too - its just VLC is one of the most high profile.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with video playback on ATI. It's been the gpu of choice for premium HTPC builders for around a year now, especially since the 5xxx series cards came out, and that doesn't look to change in the near future. I've been building HTPCs for years now and I've never had it so easy setting them up.

Soldato
I'm trying to remember the last time I had any trouble with ATI drivers.

Oh yeah, I had a faulty X800. I think it was about 2006/7? :p

Man of Honour
There's absolutely nothing wrong with video playback on ATI. It's been the gpu of choice for premium HTPC builders for around a year now, especially since the 5xxx series cards came out, and that doesn't look to change in the near future. I've been building HTPCs for years now and I've never had it so easy setting them up.

Video playback in general is fine however there are a number of underlying issues related to hardware decoding/rendering to a hardware surface that have been brought to ATI's attention months ago and not fixed.

Back
Top Bottom