The Budget

Caporegime
Can someone please settle a query please? For a single person on £55k (with no children living with them) - they will be paying more income tax right after this budget? Only two references of 'income tax' I can find in the document are one about the raising to £1k and a header for a pie chart (for some reason, the find function just finds random words and spaces after those 2).

Soldato
Can someone please settle a query please? For a single person on £55k (with no children living with them) - they will be paying more income tax right after this budget?
Don't think so - if anything, about £200 less as I think I read the high rate threshold's staying put. More National Insurance though. I'd imagine for high rate payers it probably evens out at sod all.

Caporegime
Don't think so - if anything, about £200 less as I think I read the high rate threshold's staying put. More National Insurance though. I'd imagine for high rate payers it probably evens out at sod all.

Thanks, had someone else saying they will be paying more but I know too little about income tax and could only find those two references.

Soldato
No tax is paid on that £1k, but if you did pay tax on that £1k you wouldn't pay £1k in tax would you? You'd pay 20% of £1k, which is £200.

So the difference is £1k in your pocket or £800 in your pocket - £200.

Not totally sure where they've got £170 from, unless that's some sort of average including all sorts of random circumstances.

Ta

I knew I was being thick somewhere but couldn't see where

Associate
Can someone please settle a query please? For a single person on £55k (with no children living with them) - they will be paying more income tax right after this budget? Only two references of 'income tax' I can find in the document are one about the raising to £1k and a header for a pie chart (for some reason, the find function just finds random words and spaces after those 2).

Use this tool, but I don't think you'll be better off.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10335476.stm

Permabanned
I'd love to have £500 a month to spend on luxury goods, sadly I appear to be like the majority of regular people who have to make do with just enough to get me by each month. Oh, and £150 on a night out? Good lord, they can see you coming can't they.

taxi there: £25
restaurant meal with starter and desert stop being ***** = £30
pub drinks .. 5 @ £4 = £20
walk to club = £0
entry into club = £15
5 drinks in club @ £5 = £25
kebab chips and drink: £7
taxi back: £25

= £147

Easy! normal night out ... and that's only going to one club, and not buying any drinks for the ladies, and I don't smoke thank god!!

Last edited:
Soldato
taxi there: £25
restaurant meal with starter and desert stop being ***** = £30
pub drinks .. 5 @ £4 = £20
walk to club = £0
entry into club = £15
5 drinks in club @ £5 = £25
kebab chips and drink: £7
taxi back: £25

= £147

Easy! normal night out ... and that's only going to one club, and not buying any drinks for the ladies, and I don't smoke thank god!!

C'mon man, you live near me. Great bus service, max payment on the oyster per day is what £3.80? that gets you into London from Sutton and a N44 and N213 home.

Permabanned
C'mon man, you live near me. Great bus service, max payment on the oyster per day is what £3.80? that gets you into London from Sutton and a N44 and N213 home.

Nightbuses are smelly, come once an hour, are JAM-PACKED, go via EVERY SINGLE DISTRICT IN LONDON so the trip takes 4 hours*, and have puking people that want to lump you on them. And for the 213 you have to get to trafalgar square when hammered! From London (central) to Sutton a black-cab will ask for £60. £25 is the best you'll ever get - and that's from dodgy 'I won't rape you because you're a bloke' mini-cabs!

I stand by my figures to be honest .. although maybe I'd get a train into the city TBH .. not back out again at 3.15am .. and by the time you've got one of those daft 'bicycle' cart thingies you sit in to get to Trafalgar square, that's an extra £20 out of the pot again!

* This is an exageration ..

Last edited:
Soldato
We don't need it, but we'll claim it when our son is born. It'll offset the ridiculous amount of tax we pay on every aspect of our lives, so that those on benefits can continue doing **** all :mad:

Not all people on benefits do **** all.. i worked since i was 15 by the time i was 25 i was earning 30+k per year now cause my wife is disabled i can't work cause i have to look after her. to pay for a carer would cost me above £300 per week yet this stupid goverment only wants to give me £40 for looking after her and then has the nerve to say oh by the way do that for 15 years and we'll give you your stamps so you can get a state pension.

Please tell me where thats fair

it's the druggys,alchoholics,scumbags on benefits that do the damage. NOT the people that have real genuine problems that need to be addressed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, i'm not getting pay increases for two years, but that doesn't really bother me, at least i'm still getting paid and i look forward to when the two years are gone.

Soldato
Why do people flinch at spending £150 on a night out? On a large session in London with transport and food I generally take £300 cash and pray I don't revisit the cash point after midnight :D

Caporegime
Why do people flinch at spending £150 on a night out? On a large session in London with transport and food I generally take £300 cash and pray I don't revisit the cash point after midnight :D

Because it's a frivolous waste of money, and thus not a justified reason to moan about the budget.

I have lived in London for 8 years, have been clubbing throughout, and budget a spend of £50 on a night out tops. There are better things to spend money on that overpriced booze and pointless cabs.

Soldato
I think this budget is about the best we could have hoped for in the circumstances. We only have to hope now that the public sector unions don't throw their toys out of the pram with industrial action.

Caporegime
150 - 300 quid on a night out??? wow Im another Londoner and although im older now in my 20s i wouldnt even dream of spending that much on a night. 50 on taxis.. you either earn an insaine ammount or just stupid, or both.

Most i ever spent is 400 at a stag do but that was "special" and those eastern european bitches dont come cheap.

Back
Top Bottom