Clio Trophy?

Associate
the sti and the 182 is a completly different car. You cannot compare them, its like comparing an elise to a mustang !
I have seen the reputation of these little clios grow and grow on forums, loads of people seem to be very happy with them. I guess its like driving a go-kart round a track and then driving a dragster :p, the 182 sounds like its very agile and very "chuckable" in the corners where you can hold a higher speed, which makes it a "fast" car. And yes the sti is a "fast" car too. Just two completely different focuses on the two cars.

Associate
uber dampers or not, are they really worth the 2-3k premium over a cup? genuine question...

In my experience. No.

Perhaps if you bought one for the sole purpose of running it on track days and 'needing' to beat other Clios. But for day-to-day use you're paying a premium for an ill placed plaque and fancy suspension.

Seats are nice, though.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice chaps.

So is it just posh seats and shocks that the trophy has over a normal hot clio? What are these "Cup pack" things on the other Clios. Isaw a Clio with the trophy recaros in - you could always buy them aftermarket I assume.

My thinking is that even though I could buy another classic Impreza for 3 or 4K its still going to cost a fair chunk of money to keep and its money I'd rather spend on the house or on my trains. However, I want something fun that at a push the 3 of us could take on holiday around the UK or the wife and I going to Le Mans next year. Don't fancy taking her Leon and the Jeep would bankrupt us by Dover :)

On a random side note, I was offered an E36 328i coupe yesterday - its very pretty :)

Associate
Thanks for the advice chaps.

So is it just posh seats and shocks that the trophy has over a normal hot clio? What are these "Cup pack" things on the other Clios. Isaw a Clio with the trophy recaros in - you could always buy them aftermarket I assume.

Cup pack was brought in for the 182 after the 172 Cup run was finished. Firmer suspension with a drop in ride height by about 3mm or something equally negligable and a more pronounced roof spoiler. I think the wheels were slightly different too, anthracite instead of silver.

Associate

The Recaro's were a £500 option on all 182 models? Im pretty sure that was the case anyway. As for any queries on what cup packs are etc check out post #10 here

If your looking at a 182 one thing to remember is there two type (Trophy excepted)
There the 182 (with the cup spoiler and suspension packs) this has climate leather seats (well part) and xenon’s etc. This is sometimes called the full fat on here its not anything official just the name the forum often uses.

Then there’s the 182 Cup this has both suspension and spoiler/splitter packs as standard but doesn't have the leather seats xenon’s or climate (air con instead).

The presence of Cup was symbolised by the darker coloured wheels but since some cars had the wheels swapped at dealers and aftermarket swaps and since the wheels bar the colour where the same then its impossible to be certain by looking at the wheels if it has the pack then only way to be sure is to turn the front wheels and measure the hub bolt spacing from the centre of one bolt to the other.

60mm means you have the cup suspension pack
54mm means you don't have the cup suspension pack

Soldato
OP
OK - what about mileage? How do they wear them?

Theres a cheap trophy on ebay but its done 92K. Not looking for very low milers because it will be a daily driver not a weekender so I'll be putting reasonable miles on it anway.

Plan is to keep the Jeep and alternate them every 6 months over winter/summer.

EDIT - CAN I also ask for any comments comparing a clio cup/trophy to say a very well cared for 205 GTI. I know the Pug will be quite long in the tooth but I wouldn't say no to another one (had 3 over the years)

This is what I've always wanted http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1756157.htm

Last edited:
Associate
I've owned a 205 GTi, 172 Cup & 182 Trophy - Crickey, sounds like a Froggy hothatch addiction :eek:

I'll try & answer in two parts, enjoyment & family;

205 GTi
- Great fun with all the feeling you get from an older hatch, although your example has a turbo conversion which on paper, sounds rubbish.
- I cannot imagine running one as a daily especially with my family onboard, a very poor & selfish choice to be honest. It has a roll-cage for God sakes!

172 Cup
- Absolutely epic to drive. These are my choice of the RS Clio brand as they ask more from the driver than the others. To drive these as intended is a lesson in throttle, brake & car control, much fun.
- Not the best car for a family, wide doors, awkward entry to the rear seats, no air-con, no ABS, all of these can be worked around but I don't think it would be my choice.

182 Trophy
- Covers the ground really well & certainly feels more special than other hot-hatches with its unique paint, decals, seats & limited edition plaque. The suspension setup is really good & allows you to take apart a corner with precission & speed.
- Being a Clio it has size & access issues plus a firm ride in the rear.

As already commented in this thread, any Renault Sport Clio on 92k will be showing its age in scuffs, rattles & creaks. The Trophy will most likely require a damper rebuild (~£450) but depends on its history but then other RS Clios will need a costly suspension overhaul to get match fit.

If you have your heart set on a Renault Sport Clio I would recommend either:
172 phase 2 (£3k)
182 with Cup Packs (£5k)
This is entirely dependant on how much you want to spend but will give you 90% of the same car. Where the 172 may save on depreciation will cost in running costs & vice-versa with the 182.

Last edited:
Associate
Hoof, a couple of pics:

dgiadd.jpg

j0cprc.jpg

I would only revisit the Cup out of the three.

Soldato
Ive had a STI and the running costs are far far less .... I now have a 182 with cup packs because of this :p

What sort of level of difference in costs are we talking. I was thinking of replacing my 182 with a Hawkeye STI, what was it that made you get rid of the Impreza.

Associate
Love it. Usual cheap french rattles from the trim but you forget about that when you get to a good corner!
You can get 40mpg+ too. :D

GT3

GT3

Soldato
I don't understand the build quality issues that people mention with most french cars, ok they are not like a 5 series inside but it's hardly what the cars are about. I find them much of a muchness compared to similar car's in their class e.g fiesta's and corsa's.

I've just bought a mint low mileage 2 owner rev 5 MR2 and it creaks and rattles more than any french car I've had (106's, Xsara's, Saxo's etc) yet no one ever mentions that about them.

Soldato
If I could find a clean Trophy/172 Cup I would buy one straight away. My Cup was fantastic, all it was missing was the Recaro seats and it would have been perfect.

Build quality was rather bad mind you, cheap plastics ( to be expected) more amusing was dash lights randomly coming on and off!

Soldato
I don't understand the build quality issues that people mention with most french cars, ok they are not like a 5 series inside but it's hardly what the cars are about. I find them much of a muchness compared to similar car's in their class e.g fiesta's and corsa's.

I've just bought a mint low mileage 2 owner rev 5 MR2 and it creaks and rattles more than any french car I've had (106's, Xsara's, Saxo's etc) yet no one ever mentions that about them.

I would say it's because of all the squeeks and rattles you get from inside them. My 182 has a few. You fix one, and then another one turns up.

Back
Top Bottom