Do you think this theory is true?

Associate
I was thinking about this the other day at school , people say that each year goes faster then the last one?

So think , when you were 8 that year was a eighth of your life , right?
When you were 4 that year was a quarter of your life?
a eighth is smaller than a quarter so that year must have felt quicker , right?

It may sound stupid too some , but I feel theres some logic about it

Soldato
The time goes at the same pace, but the amount of experience grows so it seems that all that has gone before happened in a shorter timescale than it did in reality.

It is simply your memory playing tricks on you, more memories mean a shorter perception of the timeframe in which they happened.

Soldato
NO he's right. well it feels like it

Remember how long you were at school between holidays

Now the holidays feel like there every few weeks.

I was 30 a little while ago now i'm 36 WTF.

I passed my test 18 years ago now the 2nd 18 yrs have gone a lot faster than the 1st

Permabanned
Time appears to speed up the older you get. This is probably because the more you live, the less new each day's experience becomes. Also, the older you get the more responsibilities and activities saturate each day, and the more you pack a 24 hour day the faster it appears to end. The saying goes "Time flies when you're having fun" and it also stands just as true for when you're busy. It's also worth mentioning that the more responsibilities and activities you have in a day, each day, the more tired you tend to be. You are more likely to go to bed earlier and sleep longer, thus making each day appear to come faster, too.

Soldato
I passed my test 18 years ago now the 2nd 18 yrs have gone a lot faster than the 1st

Clearly they've gone at the same speed. They just 'feel' like they go more quickly, which is the point the OP was trying to make.

When you are young, a year seems like a long time.

As you get older, the years feel like they go past more quickly, because you have now lived to experience longer time frames.

Soldato
Pretty sure there was an article in the news last year that said research supported you're theory.

I believe this to be correct. If memory serves the research suggested that when younger your heart beats faster on average and time feels slower. As you age your heart rate decreases and your experience of time quickers.

At least thats what I vaguely remember.

Associate
actually every year does go faster (ignoring leap years). As your mass increases, your localised time is slower, hence events around you will appear faster to you. Unfortunately, this phenomenon is only detectable at very high masses (such as a planetary body), but hey, you are technically correct.

Soldato
It is a known Fact that time slows down while at work but speeds up on your days off. I think some mathematician figured out that time is at its fastest when your having fun.

Back
Top Bottom