java learning resources..

Soldato
hi there,

I am due to start university in Sept 2010 where I will primarily be learning and have to use Java.

As my programming knowledge in very limited and restricted I thought it would be benefical to begin learning in advance.

Whilst I have found several books online they are all orientated towards games programming.

Could any experts out there recommend some Java learning books and even forums? that will put me in good stead for starting university?

Thanks in adavance...

Associate
Why not appear keep and e mail the uni you are looking at going to and ask what books they recommend for your course. Then you have that book already.
On my course which i did java on they recommended Java Software Solutions by Lewis and loftus. Although i got it i never actually got around to reading it as i already knew enough to just hack away at it.

Associate
Big Java by Cay HorstMann is the only java book i've ever had and needed.
I've learnt a decent amount just reading chapters of it trying to put myself to sleep at night. Many universities actually prefer you to have no coding experience though, your likely to pick up bad habbits.

Soldato
I've seen people recommend Objects First by David J. Barnes & Michael Kölling book which teaches Object Oriented principles then using another book to learn the language.

Soldato
For a general overview just look at the API and have a go.

Java (in my view) has a flat learning curve for simple stuff, and a steep one for the more complex areas.

Just give it a go, get Eclipse for example and just start coding.

Associate
I am at uni, have just finished the first year and got a first. I'm doing Computer Science and Management at the University of Nottingham, a joint honers, but my biggest module is programming ( java ).

If you want any help, you can always get in touch with me if you want and I don't mind helping you with things. It's not actually as hard as people make out in the first year so long as you put some effort in. On our course programming is compulsory and a core module, meaning if you fail it.. you're out, because it is of high importance, and I know a few people that ended up down this road.

As for learning resources... some people on my course used a book called "java gently"... but we were told on the very first day that to just use google is a better approach sometimes. Also, books can cost a fortune for uni.

I do have a bank of activities that I have done at uni, I will have to check what the rules are on my sending you some of them if you would like, but through the year we did 12 courseworks, and I have my working answers.

Back
Top Bottom