Win7 to new laptop

Soldato
Hi guys heres my question...

I've got a custom built desktop running Win7 home premium 64bit but have just brought a laptop (Asus UL30A), it came with recovery discs and a recovery partition, what I want to know is if I want to reinstall of Win7 could I use the original disc (the one from the desktop) and enter the product key (also for Win7 home premium 64bit) from the laptop (on a sticker on the bottom)? would this allow me to do a clean install of Win7 onto the the same hard drive with all the bloatware?

Thanks

Dumb*ss...WITHOUT the bloatware...now what would be the point of a clean installation!

Permabanned
if they are both the same version you should be able to install windows 7 on the laptop with the disc from your other pc. But you might find the laptop is OEM and the desktop pc is RETAIL, other than that i don't see any problems.

You won't know until you try to put the cdkey in the laptop during install and then if it doesn't work you can just install with the cd that came with the laptop.

Soldato
is there actually a distinction between oem and retail media with vista/win 7? I was under the impression that it was generic media in that respect and the version installed was determined by the key used?

(I am aware of the config file that pre-selects what version is installed basic/premium/ultimate etc but i dont think that is related to oem/retail arguement is it?)

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, yeah the the desktop Windows is OEM. Think I might just try it....might hold on to get an SSD, pop it into the laptop and enter the CD key...fingers crossed.

If theres no luck will pop it into the desktop I guess.

Never heard of SLIC 2.1 can anyone clarify what this is?

Soldato
My understanding of SLIC is that it is only used for offline OEM activation only. Its a method of activation used by large OEMs for pre-installed OS's on pre-built PC's.

It looks for a section of the BIOS (SLIC compatible) to verify the OEM information and if correct, installs appropiate royalty keys and Windows files to automatically activate the OS without the need for internet/phone activation or entering a product key.

This would be how the recovery disks work, so if you want to use your generic windows disk, you will need to enter the key and activate over the phone/internet as you would normally.

Back
Top Bottom