Taking paper with info into an exam.

Permabanned
I knew people on my Geology degree that wrote all the important facts and figures and such on their legs, and would go to the toilet (accompanied) if they were stuck on a question. Obviously they could only go once per exam without drawing attention, but they could leave it toward then end when they knew what they needed. No idea how they chose what info to put on their legs, but meh...

Soldato
We had to memorise equations and stuff then frantically write them all down when the exam started.

But this is a terrible way of learning. It places very little importance on understanding where concepts or formulas come from, or why/how they come about.

I've always been good at memorising things because I was able to think past what I was being told to memorise and understand why it was something worth memorising.

Teaching people to purely memorise something, simply because they're told they'll need it in the exam, is a waste of time for many students. As, when it comes to the exam, they haven't truly understood what they are memorising, and so have no idea how to adapt and apply it to the exam in front of them.

Soldato
Wow, you weren't allowed to do this at our college. I find exams tremendously easy in comparison to coursework though.
I'd do it, why put yourself at a disadvantage to the competition?

Soldato
I'll take some paper in then, seems the majority thinks it's OK.

It's an exam on ITIL.
Seriously what did you expect? for people to suggest that you actively tried to make an exam harder for yourself?

Each exam is different, and at the end of the day you will only be marked against your peers doing the same exam, UMS for a-level or exam boards at uni are there to ensure this.

Soldato
Wow, you weren't allowed to do this at our college.
It's not something that a college can just allow, it's a style of exam, like an open book exam. I've had several technical exams where you're allowed a sheet of notes (which can be checked at any point, just to ensure you've not actually got specific answers on there). The paper will be written taking this into account, and will maybe have less detailed questions or require you to show your understanding in another way rather than testing your memory for a formula.

ITIL is all about doing things in the right way, in real life you can always have access to the framework saying how to do things, but what you're tested on in the foundation/practitioner exams is how you apply the framework to real life situations. So it makes sense that the OP's exam lets you take in notes.

Soldato
We could do it at uni on our engineering course, we had several exams that allowed us to take in a crib sheet with worked examples, formulas, etc.

I think there were exceptions in certain instances about what you could put on it but I can't really remember :)

Man of Honour
You would be mad not to use it.

Always use all resources to your advantage. Even at uni some modules you can take written stuff in and other modules require it. Like big scenarios you have to work on before the exam.

Soldato
You would be mad not to use it.

Always use all resources to your advantage. Even at uni some modules you can take written stuff in and other modules require it. Like big scenarios you have to work on before the exam.

This.

It's like saying would you prefer to run home, or cycle home!

Sure, the cycle is still work, but a hell of a lot easier and faster! :p

Soldato
I did some invigilation at a university the other month and was surprised to see one set of students were allowed to take in a sheet of A4 paper covered in notes.

Some of them wrote really, really, small and had a ton of stuff on them.

Don't disadvantage yourself, if they are letting you use notes then go for it.

Soldato
As people have said its more about applying your knowledge not memorising stuff. I've had these kind of exams in uni and always do well in them, however its my memory that lets me down somethimes :(

Associate
You should always take full advantage of every opportunity you have. You will actually be putting yourself at a disadvantage by not doing it if everyone else is! Also at uni you will probably have some open book exams and multiple choice exams as well so its pretty easy.

Back
Top Bottom