HTC experiences OLED shortage, uses LCD screens in new Desires and more phones

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
So far it seems 3.7" OLED screens are being replaced by LCD ones due to OLED shortages. HTC say the LCDs being used are exclusive to HTC and manufactured by Sony and that these screens are almost identical to an OLED....we shall see :p

Anyway, this is good news for current OLED screen owners, for the short future it could add some value to our phones if we come to sell in 6 months depending on what new super-power handsets come out this fall, maybe :p

Read about it @ Giz.

As good as OLED or not, once you go LED, there's no going back to LCD :p

GeX

GeX

Soldato
would like to see a side by side, AMOLED is a pretty poor in direct sunlight.

Does this mean that the Htc Desire will get true 800 x 480 resolution instead of the PenTile matrix 640 x 480?

Interesting.

Man of Honour
Desire already has an 800x480 resolution AMOLED screen though.

No it doesn't, it doesn't have 3*800*480 pixels so it physically can't have a true 800*480 display. It's why you get the pink tint on some grey shades, it's basically a fringe inteference pattern due to displaying a higher res image on a lower res screen.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
No it doesn't, it doesn't have 3*800*480 pixels so it physically can't have a true 800*480 display. It's why you get the pink tint on some grey shades, it's basically a fringe inteference pattern due to displaying a higher res image on a lower res screen.

If it was that then all Desire handsets would have pink on some grey shades but like I mentioned (and showed) in the earlier parts of the thread, my dad's Orange Desire has no pink at all while mine has only a hint (on the HTC site).

Soldato
Wiki has a page about the nexus one using this pentile tech, quote:

The Nexus One has a 3.7 inch AMOLED screen with PENTILE matrix pixel arrangement. The Raster resolution is 800x480 pixels, however each pixel in the PenTile RGBG display has only two subpixels (red and green, or blue and green alternately), rather than the three found in most displays. This gives it a total effective subpixel resolution of a 392x653 RBG display

Edit: beaten by Trifid LOL
Does this mean an LCD could have the real 480x800 res, and how do they get away with advertising it with a res that is not True?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If it was that then all Desire handsets would have pink on some grey shades but like I mentioned (and showed) in the earlier parts of the thread, my dad's Orange Desire has no pink at all while mine has only a hint (on the HTC site).

I'm not talking about the whole screen having a pink tint, I'm talking about specific shades of grey appearing as pink. Every Desire/Nexus screen will have it, it's simple physics: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=656128

So what the true res of the Samsung Galaxy S Super Amoled 4" screen (800X480) ??

It also uses a Pentile screen, so the same as the Desire.

Soldato
I'm not talking about the whole screen having a pink tint, I'm talking about specific shades of grey appearing as pink. Every Desire/Nexus screen will have it, it's simple physics: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=656128

It also uses a Pentile screen, so the same as the Desire.
Copyed from your link

People reported that in Samsung Galaxy, and Legend (Both AMOLED but not PenTile matrix) have slight pink viewing the htc.com site, but it is nowhere as pink as found in the HTC Desire

Man of Honour
Ah, cheers.

If they're not Pentile then there is no reason at all for that to happen, unless they just have the overall pink tint that some of the Desire screens suffer from.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom