Cleaning viewfinder

Associate
I need to clean the viewfinder in my 5DmkII (the internal bit above the mirror), as when I look through it its all a bit blurred and grey. The pictures come out fine its just difficult to see if something is in focus when you take the photo :). Anyway, what's the best way to do it? I've never had to clean it before. :p

Mud

Mud

Soldato
Blurred and grey? That sounds more like you're looking through it without a battery plugged into the camera (if Canons function like Nikons).

Cack on the outside of the focusing screen can be blown off simply enough, cack between the focusing screen and pentaprism/mirror requires removing the focusing screen to clean. If it's further up than that I don't know!

Associate
Remove the focussing screen.

Blow the screen with compressed air (well away from the camera)

Put screen back in.

(or buy a new focussing screen)

Associate
OP
Thanks!!

Has anyone ever replaced their focusing screen to a different type? I notice Canon do the grid (Eg-d) and the magnifier (Eg-s) as optional replacments to the standard matte one the camera comes with (Eg-a)

Associate
Thanks!!

Has anyone ever replaced their focusing screen to a different type? I notice Canon do the grid (Eg-d) and the magnifier (Eg-s) as optional replacments to the standard matte one the camera comes with (Eg-a)

I have. All the tools were in the packet. Takes thirty or forty seconds to do. I have an EC-c IV in one and Ec-C III in the other.

Easy peasy. I think I paid £25 for the IV.

Mud

Mud

Soldato
Thanks!!

You're spoilt on Canon, focusing screens is something Nikon get very wrong. I buy Katzeyes for my bodies (except my D700, which has a Brightscreen), they end up costing ~£120 once imported :mad:

Associate
You're spoilt on Canon, focusing screens is something Nikon get very wrong. I buy Katzeyes for my bodies (except my D700, which has a Brightscreen), they end up costing ~£120 once imported :mad:

Really? I love the Nikon (D80) with the ability to turn grid lines on or off.

The Canon at work (1Ds Mk3) seems fairly similar, never had a problem with either.

Mud

Mud

Soldato
Really? I love the Nikon (D80) with the ability to turn grid lines on or off.

The Canon at work (1Ds Mk3) seems fairly similar, never had a problem with either.

I tend to leave gridlines on, but what I was primarily referring to was focusing aids such as micro-prisms or split-prisms. Nikon give you no aftermarket options, and don't even offer shims in less than 50um increments (whereas Canon do 10um IIRC).

Associate
I'm the same, I have grid lines on constantly! I've never felt the need for any aftermarket focusing aids, what aftermarket options do you find essential and why? I'm purely curious, is it something for a specific type of photography?

Associate
Any lens over f/2.5 benefits from the focusing screens (darker with f/3.2 or slower, brighter at f/2.5 or wider apertures), and perhaps spilt prism centres.

Back
Top Bottom