Uh oh....

Caporegime
Well there was me questioning the build quality of the Tamron 17-50 and it seems my lens must have heard me... I just put it on the camera and error 99 comes up... try the 70-200 I was just using and fine... 17-50 error 99 and what sounds like the AF trying to move for a split second.

The noise definately comes from the lens and occurs whenever I put the lens on the camera (a 400D) whether the camera is off or on, AF or MF... Sounds bad yes?

The worse news is it's used, but there may be some hope as it was purchased by the previous user from a shop and I have the receipt he got. The lens itself is mint condition (not even a scratch on the lens hood) so it doesn't seem like damage from a drop or anything. :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think your only hope of getting the warranty valid is to get the seller to sort out the lens, since warranties aren't transferable.

Does it manually focus?

Soldato
Delete this thread quick and sell it to Mr Jones....!!! :eek: Only joking obviously :D

Get in touch with the chap you bought it off, I'd be suprised if he didn't help you out. I guess you'll have some P&P to pay for, but that'll be cheaper than replacing the lens! Other option is to phone someone like Fixation, see if they'll give you a quote (it may be something they are aware of, although I think they are wary of giving quotes without seeing the lens).

Caporegime
OP
Lol. Yep looks like it's a go talk to the seller thing.

I think it's actually the aperture that's the problem. When I connect the lens the aperture opens and closes fast, which is making that noise, so it looks like nothing to do with the focussing.

Either way I can't see it being fixed in three weeks... Looks like i'm going to have to buy another lens to take with me when I go away... :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Well there was me questioning the build quality of the Tamron 17-50 and it seems my lens must have heard me... I just put it on the camera and error 99 comes up... try the 70-200 I was just using and fine... 17-50 error 99 and what sounds like the AF trying to move for a split second.

The noise definately comes from the lens and occurs whenever I put the lens on the camera (a 400D) whether the camera is off or on, AF or MF... Sounds bad yes?

The worse news is it's used, but there may be some hope as it was purchased by the previous user from MPB at the end of April and I have the receipt he got (6 months warranty). I take it however I'll have to go through him if I want to get it sorted (MPB say it isn't transferrable). The lens itself is mint condition (not even a scratch on the lens hood) so it doesn't seem like damage from a drop or anything. :(

Is there any chance you can try it on a different camera ?

Caporegime
OP
Nope unfortunately. It was something I thought about as well, however after trying all the other lenses I have (including a Tokina) they all work fine so it cuts a bit of the doubt out.

Soldato
I would not rule out the issue being with the lens firmware. When I first got my 40d I borrowed my father in law's old Tamron and it worked fine for about 2 weeks and then Err99 started to come up all the time. It still worked fine on his camera and all my other lenses worked fine on mine.

Caporegime
OP
Interesting. I knew there were possible issues with third party lens firmware but I assumed they would either work or not, not pack up after a week or two. :)

Caporegime
OP
Just checking on google and there seems a lot of issues with Tamron and error 99 due to a chip problem... I guess it's that as the sites also mention the aperture issue...

Dammit. Now the question is would this issue happen on other cameras or is it just hit and miss? I only ask as if it needs to be sent off (regardless of cost) I'm going to have to buy another lens anyway for a month trip i'm heading off for in 3 weeks so I may as well sell it if it isn't going to be an issue with other cameras. I'm guessing it is though so a rechip would really need to be done before then?

(Obviously I don't want to pass it on if there is a chance it could happen with someone else, but if it is just one of those occurances with a very small minority of cameras then maybe it would be acceptable).

Also would an update to the 400D firmware be likely to help?

Soldato
I some times get an error with this lens and my d90, it happens when attaching the lens and it doesn't quite twist on fully but has locked into place.

GIve the lens a gental twist in both directions and see if the error goes away, might be clutching at straws but its worth a go.

Caporegime
OP
Doesn't seem to work either. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. :)

What I really need is another camera to test it on and see if it works then, then it would almost certainly indicate a rechipping.

Well the seller has got back to me and is fine with sending it in, the only worry is that if it is an issue with my camera specifically if they ask for a demonstration then he wouldn't be able to show it.

Back
Top Bottom