Very strange cooling problem

Soldato
Fine! I'll reseat it for the 4th time in 2 weeks! grrrrrr :p
Don't do it when you in a mood though! :p

Also take some pics up close if you can, it's like you have engaged the wrong lugs or something? I'm not sure but something is stopping the heatsink laying flat :confused:

It's pretty hard to mess up a Socket 939 heatsink fitting heh! :D

Associate
OP
well just played for a little while after reseating... max temps of 45 and 50 C. that was just for a few mins though.

One thing I did notice on the heatsink was the outline of the processor where its almost "crushed" the surface of the heatsink. Might be new heatsink time...

Soldato
I was just thinking your temps readout may be uneven due to the game you are running. If you wanna get a level load then dowload Prime95 and run the Small FFts test which will evenly load the chip and help us asses whats going on.

Associate
OP
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS DOING IT AGAIN! A month later!

Temps of 81 C before shutting down...

Why does my heatsink keep unseating itself?! All I've done is touch the on button!

Any ideas?

EDIT: The second core is up to 15C hotter. WTF is happening. Why has it unseated?!

Last edited:
Associate
Hows your hsf mounted on the cpu ? Is it slpping/working loose?

Is it the cooler that came with the cpu or an aftermarket type? if so which?

My sons comp is based on an x2 3800 S939 running at 2.4 and under an Opteron cooler (copper core fan blowing down )that I had it ran at 29/35 at idle + 35/40 under load.

Currently running with a Tuniq Tower (fan blowing to back) and temps are approx 2/3c better.

It's built inside a stacker case but with the Opty cooler it was inside a Sonata 1 case with just a front 120m intake fan and a 120m exhaust fan so nothing special.

Meant to ask what speed are you running the cpu at ?

Associate
I had a PC to fix with this issue, turned out the stock cooler was mounted backwards and only had a very small area touching the chip, cracked one of the dyes aswell; how it was ever fitted I don't know!

Reseated the cooler and it ran 'ok' (hung occasionally and misbehaved on hot days) but the chip still ran hot, putting a better aftermarket cooler on it fixed it completely.

Associate
OP
Still haven't got a new cooler... but its been doing it ever since. Have remounted the sink about 20 times now. Just look at these core differences!

tempsm.jpg

Still idles fine - ~ 38-40. Its just when it does literally ANYTHING the temps of core1 skyrocket.

Any new ideas?

Back
Top Bottom