Samsung Galaxy S... highest spec Android phone released... also with QWERTY!

Soldato
How much memory do you have left on the 8gb model to put music/video's on...
As i seen a few people post that there is 2GB Internal storage memory for putting apps/games onto..

But is this 2GB taken out of the 8GB ??

Yes its taken out of the 8gb but you can still use it for vids n music etc, you just can't use the entire 8gb for apps.

All my stuff is on my 16gb sd card anyway so I haven't even touched the internal yet.

Associate
Purchased the Galaxy S 8gb on Friday Sim free and i can honestly say it's an awesome device. The screen is something else, absolutely stunning. My previous phone is an iPhone 3GS which i have to say i loved. I had the 4g preordered but thought i would take a punt on the Galaxy as i liked what i saw and i'm so glad i did.

Couple of minor issues which will hopefully be fixed are:
Trying to betonline using Paddypower is a nightmare, the browser is rubbish for this site, also tried Opera but that was even worse.

The only other annoyance is now when streaming music over bluetooth to my car stereo it tends to pause and skip every 15-30 secs or so which is highly annoying.

Another feature i thought was going to be rubbish was the Swype text, however i can honestly say its superb.

Also now when looking at the iphone screen, it all looks so cramped. I can honestly say i have not put the Galaxy down since i bought it.

If anyone wants me to try anything out, install anything, let me know.

Last edited:
Associate
How do you guys get so much battery life?

I've got Juice Defender and auto task killer that kills apps when I turn off the screen and I still struggle making it last more than a day, albeit with medium usage with wifi/gps. Is there a trick to controlling the gps stuff? I don't feel confident that my gps isntdoing something stupid like constantly sending my location to my latitude account.

The other night the phone was extremely hot in my pocket and didn't last more than 7hrs after a full charge!

Man of Honour
Paul @ Modaco is working on his Galaxy S today and has got it rooted and some custom firmware going.

You should be seeing a Modaco release and root guide for it before long :)

Soldato
A quick question, when you lot connect via Vodafone in a good reception area, does your signal strength read 3G or H?

Just making sure before I return the phone for being faulty, mine will barely spend a second on 3G before going back to 2.5, being able to browse the internet on the automatic network selection is haphazard. I'm disappointed that I have to go through the hassle of doing this.
I expect this is also killing my battery, I can barely get a day's worth.

Associate
It pulled all mine down automatically as soon as I sync'd with Gmail and added them to the phone contacts.
I'll play around with the options and see if I can do that as well.

A quick question, when you lot connect via Vodafone in a good reception area, does your signal strength read 3G or H?

Just making sure before I return the phone for being faulty, mine will barely spend a second on 3G before going back to 2.5, being able to browse the internet on the automatic network selection is haphazard. I'm disappointed that I have to go through the hassle of doing this.

Vodafone here as well. Usually seems to go for 3g, though the reception isn't always great. At home it'll switch between H and G every few minutes.

Soldato

No such problems here though I'm with Orange. What ever it says when I start browsing is pretty much what it stays at.

Associate
I've just rooted my i9000 - it was dead simple, I followed a guide on samdroid.net (Not sure if I can give a direct link - I would imagine rooting is legit?).

Now I sit tight until a Froyo 2.2 Custom ROM becomes available :)

Soldato
Vodafone here as well. Usually seems to go for 3g, though the reception isn't always great. At home it'll switch between H and G every few minutes.

Just to clarify, if it says 3g before you connect, the reception icon will still say 3g as you're surfing and not g orh? Thanks for your input, just want to make sure my phone's faulty before getting a new one, internet browsing is a chore at the mo

Back
Top Bottom