Big request for some digital camera advice!

Soldato
I'm hoping some of you pro's will be able to advise me on which camera to buy out of a few I've looked at. I'm off to Thailand at the end of July and next April I'm travelling for 8 weeks so I'm looking for a decent camera to take some beautiful pictures of my travels. I like smaller sized (I carry small handbags) and pretty cameras but obviously can compromise these things for a camera that takes great pics! Also, I don't like cameras that double flash!

The ones I've considered so far are:

- Canon IS 120
- Samsung ST1000

Then people have said Nikon's are best so now I'm confused.

ANY help would be wonderful, thank you

Permabanned
I dont know your budget but I will be definetly getting a Canon S90 for the same job when its applicable to me. Awesome cameras.

Associate
I'd get any Canon IXUS, they're generally pretty good and well designed. Nikon on the other hand are a bit awful at compacts so avoid those.

'Double flash' is probably red-eye reduction. You can turn it on or off on all cameras, take the manual on holiday so you can look up what the various settings do.

Soldato
Don't bother with Nikon or samsung.

In many peoples opinion, the best compact cameras are made by canon and panasonic so i'd stick to those two brands.

The ixus 120 you chose is VERY small! If you've got fat fingers then maybe give it a miss, but if not, it's a fantastic little camera. Go and have a play with one in a shop and see if you like the size.

I'm a big fan of canon ixus's, you can't go wrong with any of them. If you want something with a few more features, much larger zoom range etc, then look at a powershot, i.e.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/digital-cameras-canon-powershot-sx200-is/b3064-m37-r1347#first

As for panasonics, I don't have experience with them, but anything around your budget will do the job well.

Soldato
I have an IXUS and the S90, the IXUS is a fair bit smaller, but the S90 is a lot better - it's a little bit bigger because of the function ring, but not exactly massive. Great camera, too.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, no more than £200. S90 looks wonderful....loving everything I've read and watched...however cannot afford to spend that much unfortunately :(
I've narrowed down to the IXUS 120 and the panasonic TZ7 now, but have read TZ7 has some battery life issues so I'm unsure!

Soldato
Yeah, no more than £200. S90 looks wonderful....loving everything I've read and watched...however cannot afford to spend that much unfortunately :(
I've narrowed down to the IXUS 120 and the panasonic TZ7 now, but have read TZ7 has some battery life issues so I'm unsure!

My mistake, didn't look up the prices of the ones mentioned :)

Soldato

Cool, both are very capable. Best thing to do is go pick them up really. I still use an ixus 40, it's 5 years old and still takes cracking pics.

Soldato
OP
Yep, going to go have a play on thursday. Going towards the canon as I need long battery too and those issues have been raised with the panasonic. However, one review site mentioned the canon not good in warm countries - moisture problems or something? Agh!

Back
Top Bottom