The 2010 Chilli growing thread - it's scorching!

Associate
Mine are progressing quite well - almost time to harvest a few as they're starting to turn bright scarlet. I'm still not sure what the large green ones are, and will probably have to wait a bit longer to find out. They're all drinking serious amounts of water now - each plant is taking nearly a litre per day.

What is that water bottle doing? Is it some sort of drip feed watering?

Soldato
What is that water bottle doing? Is it some sort of drip feed watering?

Yes, it drip feeds directly into the soil. I usually use this with feed in too - you can see it is quite brown.

You really need a robust bottle to do it, otherwise the bottle will compress and eventually too much negative pressure will build up inside and no more water will flow out. Perfect to make sure that it has adequate liquid 24/7 though - at the moment I get home every day and at least one or two of the others are looking quite limp and sorry for themselves.

Soldato
nearly every flower i had that was fully open has now started to wilt into a chilli. and i already have about 30 chillis almost ripe i think! well...they're not red yet, more of a whitish colour. but i dont think they're long off. ive only given them plant feed once, a couple of weeks ago. should i be giving them more??

Soldato
OP
You could but the plant seems happy at the moment.

Just spotted more chillies!
Plant #1 has 5 chillies now :D
Plant #2 has 1
Plant #3 has 0

Associate
Only growing one plant myself, first time i've tried... grown from seed. I believe it's cayenne, but it may be jalapeño, got it off my boss and he wasn't sure which was which :p

Using canna coco and feeding with canna coco A and B. here is how the plant stands now.. it's tripled in size to this in the last 3 weeks...

Image000.jpg

Image001.jpg

No flowers but this one was started pretty late.. just hope the sun lasts out and it flowers so i don't have to overwinter!

Associate
jalapeno:
8b3b122eIL1629204

scotch bonnet
b2d46ffeHY1629205

shot of window garden with a lemon, 2 types of tomato, 1 jalapeno, 2x scotch bonnets, 1 eggplant and some radish. those yellow sticky things have been keeping the fungus gnats under control, i cant help but laugh as they try to heave themselves off it but its too sticky haha :p

ff07890bEJ1629206

Soldato
I noticed that some of my plants had small holes appearing in the leaves and upon closer inspection there were loads of tiny caterpillars on them. It seems to be just one of my greenhouses that is affected. This contained my Bell peppers and Naga and 4 Cayenne chilli plants.

I've killed as many as I can but they are seriously tiny, 2-3mm in length and they tend to curl up into a ball when you move the leaves, which makes them look like a speck of dirt. They have made a mess of the Naga but all the other plants aren't too bad.

DSC_0634levelsres.jpg

This is one of them, taken with a macro lens with extension tubes. It looks big but it was about 2-3mm long.

Its harder work than I imagined this gardening lark :p

Last edited:
Soldato
quick update on the chilli plants! :) i don't know whats going on but all the chillis are a creamy white colour! i dont know if theyre ever going to turn red :(

dsc00429fj.jpg

dsc00430p.jpg

they're actually starting to smell like proper veg plants now!

dsc00432l.jpg

just thought i'd add this last one, basically, the flowers now, are so open, they're turning back on themselves! lovely plants.

dsc00435ndj.jpg

Associate
Tauren, what type of chillis are those? May try a rare type next summer and those look pretty cool (so to speak :p)

Does anyone know what type of chilli mine are? I just bought a few that said they were green chillis from Sainsbury's, but i'd love to know what variety they actually are? They are a few posts up.

Cheers

Soldato
@ Jakstaar2007, I'd say those were jalapeños mate. Not 100% sure but the ones you get from Supermarkets that say green or red chillies are usually Jalapeños and they look like them.

I wish I had grown some to put on pizzas and stuff. Nice versatile Chilli that isn't too hot. Looks like they are cropping well.

Looking at my chillies its apparent that I should have used the larger 5 litre pots instead of the 3 litre I used. I re-potted one plant into a 5 litre as a test andit has 20 chillies on it and they are much bigger than the other plants. At least I know for next year.

Soldato
they're prairie fire chilli's! i've still got quite a few seeds left from the packet if you or anyone else wants some my email is in my trust! :)

Back
Top Bottom