High mileage car

Soldato
That's more of a maiden voyage I'd say, test drive before you buy not after :p

I hope all is well anyway. BMW's (most cars do this I know, but from a BMW pov) can behave somewhat differently when properly warmed up than when cold, so you should know soon enough if anything is amiss.

Soldato
So what does a 2005 (55) car with 36,000 miles mean?

As for test drives, they're more to see if you like the car than if there's any problems. It totally depends on the car and the age, but 90%, if not more of all issues will become apparent through other means. Spend some time reading about common failure points.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So what does a 2005 (55) car with 36,000 miles mean?

What?

As for test drives, they're more to see if you like the car than if there's any problems.

What?!

No, they are to see if there are any problems with the car unless you are the sort of average consumer who pops to see an Astra and a Focus and buys the one with the nicest steering wheel. Every car I test drove after I'd decided what to buy I was test drively purely to make sure it drove properly, braked properly, had no hidden issues, etc. I already knew I liked the car, or I'd not be wasting my time viewing it.

Associate
Yes, and I have recently done it.

My current car which is a 52 plate 1.6 Focus is now on 112K, I got the car with 110K on it 2 months ago. The car has got a lot of service history with it and it drives absolutely brilliant, it's hard to think that it really has done 112K but it has only had 2 previous owners from new.

Another trick in the book that I found that did go wrong when I went to view one of the first Focus's, was while I was looking at the car the dealer pointed to another bloke further down the forecourt who had just been looking at the Focus that I was looking at but he couldn't buy the car because he "was too skint". Anyway this bloke started coming up towards us and he said to the dealer "Tom, I've got the car breakers on the phone returning your call!" :rolleyes: I think you get the idea but I really had to look away to avoid bursting out laughing.

Liam

Last edited:
Man of Honour
How do you find out in the first place that you like the car then? Surely you can't just go on pictures and reviews!

You don't go and test drive random private sellers cars to see if you like it though - by the time you are this far along you've already decided. Big dealers are the best place for finding out if you like a car or not. Go and test drive a minter with 20k on it, if you like it, seek out one you actually want to buy :)

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16845487 said:
You don't go and test drive random private sellers cars to see if you like it though - by the time you are this far along you've already decided. Big dealers are the best place for finding out if you like a car or not. Go and test drive a minter with 20k on it, if you like it, seek out one you actually want to buy :)

Ah sorry, I thought you meant you didn't test drive at all! Completely agree then, I wouldn't waste a private sellers time if I wasn't sure if I liked the car.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16845457 said:
Simple enough question, plus me re-iterating the limited information about the type of driving the mileage and age tells.

No, they are to see if there are any problems with the car unless you are the sort of average consumer who pops to see an Astra and a Focus and buys the one with the nicest steering wheel. Every car I test drove after I'd decided what to buy I was test drively purely to make sure it drove properly, braked properly, had no hidden issues, etc. I already knew I liked the car, or I'd not be wasting my time viewing it.

I'm not saying don't test drive the car you buy, I'm saying it's not as big a test of the car as most people think. Every car I've turned down that was turned down due to an issue, was turned down before the test drive, and all but one of the issues would have been un-noticable on the test drive. You should definitely test out an example of a car before you choose one, but you covered that later:
[TW]Fox;16845487 said:

I like to choose my budget, choose a handful of cars based on reviews and my taste. Then go and see examples, accruing tests to see if I really like them as I do this, as well as examining the cars. It's a quick way to cover all the necessary steps. I don't like to draw out car buying, I have better things to do with my time than car shopping.

So cut the jumping to conclusions and the hostile comments please.

Edit: I won't waste a private seller's time, I try to get a test in with a car I see at a dealer before I look at private sellers.

Last edited:

Si.

Si.

Soldato
I bought a 122k mile 2000 1.8 Focus about 6 weeks ago.. runs very smooth (I've added on about 1500 miles since I got it), it's a bit tired inside, but only had 3 owners all that time, the last one for 4 years. Paid £900 with 10 months MOT left to run.. even if it fails it's next MOT (and I'm expecting it to pass with mabe only minor work) it's worth the price..

Soldato
OP
Well collected the car lastnight and drove back to Torquay, got back around 11pm so didnt really have a chance to go over the car properly. Will do later on though.

Lovely sound from the engine and the drive was smooth and trouble free.

Couple things I need to check out though, the headlights in dip seemed a little faint on the motorway but were bright when stationary.

Need to replace the wiper blades as they are a bit pants, and the tool kit in the boot needs removing as it rattles :p

On another note, was just talking to a colleague who drives a 2.0 Astra on a T reg with 268k miles on it, still on its original engine and clutch! now that is impressive.

Pics to follow at the weekend.

Last edited:
Associate
My wife bought a 1999 Focus Ghia 3 years ago that had done 141000 miles. It was in good condition and had a FSH. She still has the car and it has now done 197000 and is still going strong!!!

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I've just bought a Lexus LS400 on a 2001 plate that's done 250002 miles!

I'll let you know my answer in a few months (i.e. whether it was a good buy or not!).

Back
Top Bottom