• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best Time to Sell 5870s?

Associate
Always sell GFX as soon as you can, they depreciate in value constantly.

That's not strictly true. Sure, generally speaking that is the case but certainly not always.

Specifically speaking about the 5870, the second hand prices have been pretty much identical from launch until now. Prices are unlikely to drop much, if at all, until the next refresh comes or the retail price falls.

I would recommend keeping them until about a month before the refresh if you are concerned about losing equity on your card.

Soldato
That's not strictly true. Sure, generally speaking that is the case but certainly not always.

It's true enough I think. I've never had a card go up in value, even when the exchange rate changes after you buy, the prices never increase on the second hand market unless for some reason a massive premium has gone on the card. I'll agree that prices can level out for a long time though. For instance, my 8800GTS was worth £35 for almost a year.

Since we're talking about a 5870, do you think that it's going to increase in value? I'd be interested to hear if you've had any cards increase in value or totally hold their value, just out of curiosity. I imagine something really special might, like an Asus MARS, at least until it's totally outdated.

Soldato
Should I get rid of my 5870s now or wait a bit longer for the ATI refresh?

I really cant understand this way of thinking, clearly people who do this always want to be on the cutting edge of new graphics cards but are then willing to spend 1/2 months with something sub standard just to make an extra £50 wtf

Associate
OP
I just want to make sure I don`t loose too much cash on them.

Trouble is, if the refresh is not a significant increase in fps, I may end up wishing I`d stuck with my 5870s.

Remember the HD2900 to the HD3870, what if they do that kind of refresh!

Soldato
I just dont understand this line of thinking :D

So you're willing to spend over £600 to get the best out there but then willing to run on something about 1/5 the power for 2 months to save £100?? WTF

Associate
It's true enough I think. I've never had a card go up in value, even when the exchange rate changes after you buy, the prices never increase on the second hand market unless for some reason a massive premium has gone on the card. I'll agree that prices can level out for a long time though. For instance, my 8800GTS was worth £35 for almost a year.

Since we're talking about a 5870, do you think that it's going to increase in value? I'd be interested to hear if you've had any cards increase in value or totally hold their value, just out of curiosity. I imagine something really special might, like an Asus MARS, at least until it's totally outdated.

I bought a couple of 5850s at release which went up in value. Ended up selling them for the same amount I bought for new. :D

But the OP was asking when was the best time to sell a 5870. And seeing as the second hand value has yet to drop in all this time, now is as good a time to sell as any time before now. Exactly how long it will remain that way is uncertain, it all depends on the retail value. Which shows no sign of dropping imminently but then you never know.

Soldato
This is why, (I say anyway) its ludicrious spending big money on your graphics when they depreciate in value and become feature obsolete within two years.

Buy somethig big like the 5870 and leave it alone, anything more than that is a waste of cash... even if you can afford it...

Back
Top Bottom