Wimbledon 2010 *Spoilers in here*

Caporegime
My school used to leave nets up during the summer so I took advantage of them whenever I could. Wasn't very good (never got out of the habit of punching the ball rather than following through with my shots) but enjoyed smacking serves as hard as I could :cool:

Soldato
Serena slightly better in the first set although as usual it's mostly down to her first serve, got the break thanks to a lucky net cord going her way.

Associate
Oh noes! My joke failed :(

Still, wouldn't it be good to see a match between Serena and Rafa? I reckon Rafa would win fairly easily but Serena's serve is just so good at the moment that I think she'd push him quite hard...

Man of Honour
In a modern day reprise of the Margaret Court/Billie Jean King vs Bobby Riggs matches? It would certainly be interesting to see what, if anything, has changed although Bobby Riggs was well past his prime at the time and Nadal is certainly in his so I'd expect a pretty convincing win for Nadal. Serena Williams vs some of the other players in the mens top 100 would be a lot closer I'd think though.

Soldato
In a modern day reprise of the Margaret Court/Billie Jean King vs Bobby Riggs matches? It would certainly be interesting to see what, if anything, has changed although Bobby Riggs was well past his prime at the time and Nadal is certainly in his so I'd expect a pretty convincing win for Nadal. Serena Williams vs some of the other players in the mens top 100 would be a lot closer I'd think though.

Doubt it.
She wouldn't be able to get to most of the serves, even second serves would be faster than anything she faces currently. Placement wise she would be fine, but speed and power she wouldn't stand a chance. I am sure there are some she could beat on a day, but for consistenty she wouldn't stay high in the ratings at all.
She's not that much of a man.

Associate
I reckon Rafa would win fairly easily but Serena's serve is just so good at the moment that I think she'd push him quite hard...

Nadal would crush her. The difference in standard between the top male and top female tennis players is massive.

Soldato
Serena Williams vs some of the other players in the mens top 100 would be a lot closer I'd think though.

Could you name a few of them?

Any man in the top 100 would beat her 6-0 6-0. Any man in the top 2000 would beat her easily. In fact any decent junior who's been playing this week would beat her as well. Speed and power aside, the men play with so many different spins and slices compared to the women (who are mostly ball bashers) that the gulf in class is huge.

In 1998 Serena and Venus challenged a guy called Karsten Braasch who was ranked 203 at the time. They played 1 set, he beat Serena 6-1 and Venus 6-2. He only served at 50% power and his warm up consisted of a round of golf and a couple of beers earlier that afternoon. He also used to smoke.

Chris Evert admitted that when she was no.1 she used to get beaten by her brother who only played at college level. Henin also tried to play a match vs a guy who was never even a pro and lost as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom