• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus Ares Worlds First!

Associate
Cards like this though are not for the canny purchaser they are for the "i must have the best no matter the cost" brigade and there are plenty more then a thousand of them out there. It's i think a niceish looking card but performance is what will make it or break it and if early reports ar to be believed then it isn't that good.

Soldato
I got excited about the 4GB until I remembered this is a Mars bar aka bling'd dual-GPU card.

4GB on a single GPU would've been interesting.

Soldato
Notice the people who say this card is useless are the people that don't own a 2gig card.

It's already been shown in the latest games that the extra memory can help with high levels of AA whiivh can cause you to run out of framebuffer memory with only 1gig.

An example is here:
http://img.hex*s.net/v2/graphics_cards/amd/Sapphire/58702GB/03.png

The 5870 2gig card outperforms the 5970 reference at 2560x1600 with 4XAA in Crysis due to the extra memory.

The fact that it's 2 5870's stuck together helps those that don''t have room for 2 separate cards, or wish to go trifire or quadfire.

So useless it's not. Expensive yes. This is an enthusiasts forum but seems to have turned into a value for money/tell people how to spend their cash forum.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think for the money I'd like something not so retardly coloured. Still only 2 5870s on one PCB. I never really understood the Asus "Ares and Mars" cards.

The colour scheme matches the normal ASUS ROG colours, however garish, I think that's what most people would expect, and what ASUS want.

The point of the extravagant cards is a lot like when a car manufacturer makes a crazy concept car or extremely limited production model. Look at how much hype the card has already created - this is all great marketing for ASUS and in the eyes of enthusiasts continues to establish them as the leading brand for not just bleeding-edge hardware, but mainstream enthusiast kit too. Hence the colour scheme being carried over, it's for association with their other more popular high end products.

I recognise the OP from OC3D, so hai there! OC3D have done a stirling job getting hold of two of those cards, and I think it cements them as one of, if not the best and most ambitious hardware review sites out there. Well done to them.

Back
Top Bottom