Poll: Smoking ban

What are you opinions on the smoking ban?

• I supported its introduction but I now think it should be scrapped.

Votes: 12 1.6%
  • I supported its introduction and still support it.

Votes: 500 68.2%
  • I didn't support its introduction but now think that it was inevitable/a good idea.

Votes: 83 11.3%
  • I didn't support its introduction and think it should now be scrapped.

Votes: 92 12.6%
  • Pancake.

Votes: 46 6.3%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Worse at bus stops where I am... every one just auto lights up when they are waiting. There's so many butt ends around it just looks awful.

Then tell them to use the bin, i haven't thrown a fag butt on the floor for 3 years..

I also don't breath it in peoples faces, if a mum + kid walked past me whilst i was on the street i try and hold my breath and/or step out of the way a bit.

people don't give a **** about each other in general that's another issue.

Caporegime
I think it's quite obvious the smoke is in your face if you do that.

anyone who smokes should be able to do it, you just have the ciggy in the corner of your mouth and pointed away from your face...

most smokers multitask like that it doesnt get in your eyes unless your a noobie.

i dont smoke anymore but i used to many years ago which is how i know :p

Associate
I am happy the way the smoking ban has worked so far its nice getting back home and not smelling like an ash tray! Can’t imagine going into a pub / club anymore and seeing everyone smoking!

Don’t think it really needs to be changed anymore as it’s currently a pretty good 50/50 compromise.... it is annoying getting stuck behind someone smoking and getting all of it in your face (the smoke :D) but it’s not the end of the world.

Man of Honour
Definitely agree with it - though somehow, somewhere I feel there's a bit of infringement of freedoms somewhere?

I hate smoking though (although I used to do it casually) and find it so pleasant being able to go to a pub or out for a meal and not feel saturated by smoke and end up smelling horrid for days on end.

This is further re-inforced by the fact that I saw a member of staff today smoking, and is 6 months pregnant. :/

Soldato
Then tell them to use the bin, i haven't thrown a fag butt on the floor for 3 years..

I also don't breath it in peoples faces, if a mum + kid walked past me whilst i was on the street i try and hold my breath and/or step out of the way a bit.

people don't give a **** about each other in general that's another issue.

99 percent of the time I time it so I arrive at the stop just as the bus arrives. Plus at some of our stops there's no bin.

Soldato
It's not my place, neither can I really make such comments publically to a member of staff. However, I have to say I did feel the bile boiling over into my mouth at the thought.

I have had two or three female colleagues do this now and it absolutely infuriates me. Personally I think it should be included in the ban and then it could be enforced by employers.

Permabanned
I think it should come down to property rights. If a private pub or restaurant wants to allow smoking it should be able to. If it wants to build an air conditioned room it should be able to. If it wants to ban smoking inside it should be able to.

We should not need some third party to start handing out penalty notices.

In other countries they have a government ban but the pubs and restaurants are allowed to build smoking areas that have be ventilated adequately. So you will find many restaurants with what looks like a class room with air cons full of smokers.

When i went to Belgium they had a government ban on smoking inside but the cafes and restaurants did not enforce it. I was smoking under a no smoking sign in Brussels.

If you have never smoked then you most likely will not care about people that do and thanks to self righteous government propaganda you actually think you are doing people a favor by banning cigs. But you realy do not know how nice it is to have some breakfast and light up a cig without some nazi coming over moaning.

edit: penn and teller did an episode on second hand smoke and found that it is bs.
edit2: i stopped smoking three months ago.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not my place, neither can I really make such comments publically to a member of staff. However, I have to say I did feel the bile boiling over into my mouth at the thought.

I feel like that when serving heavily pregnant women cigarettes at work. Ok, they might not be for them, but tbh by looking at them I can usually tell...

Man of Honour
I'm shocked you even smoked casually TBH. :eek:

I was in my teens - you live and learn. :) It was a long time ago! :)

I have had two or three female colleagues do this now and it absolutely infuriates me. Personally I think it should be included in the ban and then it could be enforced by employers.

Absolutely - had I been her manager I might have showed a concern, but even then, it's hard as an employer to interfere with the private life or habit of someone if it doesn't affect their professional work.

Soldato
I didn't support its introduction and think it should now be scrapped.

I don't care about people who have sand in their vaginas about it, they can live their lives being afraid of every toxin they come into contact with, if they want.

TMP

TMP

Associate
Smoking ban is AWESOME, all I need now is a ban on the busier streets, walking behind someone smoking kinda sucks :/

Back
Top Bottom