Do You Watch Video Game Walkthroughs

Associate
You guys ever watch video game walkthroughs? I do all the time, they're becoming quite popular. For me however it has to be commentated, especially horror/thriller ones, and preferably HD.

If any of you guys are interested in watching walkthroughs there's two pretty decent people on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/user/SSoHPKC <A good amount of HD walkthroughs. Some start HD after a few videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/vash12349 <A lot of good walkthroughs, not so many HD, so good for netbooks or if you don't mind SD, it's good.

You guys know of any other good walkthrough videos with commentary?

I'm watching Fallout 3 walkthrough ATM. I hope these get a lot more popular.

Soldato
Personally I don't know why you would watch something like this for pleasure.

I enjoy video games by playing them.

Each to their own though :).

This. But I do like a few live streams of MP games a couple of days before they are out. Nice to get a good overview of the maps.

Caporegime
I only watch walkthroughs if I'm really, properly stuck. If I get stuck and can't figure something out I'll consult a text walkthrough. If that still doesn't help, then I'll watch a video to see how it's done. I'd never watch one just for the hell of it though.

On the other hand, I do enjoy speed runs sometimes.

Soldato
i watch a few mainly from DSP, but only realy to get a feel for a game and if its worth picking up - i find them better then reviews tbh.

hes also got some killer ssf4 vids.

Soldato
I've never watched a walk through fully but I've seen a few episodes on youtube which were fairly enjoyable. I did love the recent GiantBomb Endurance Run, I would defiantly check that out if your looking for a laugh :)

I do like watching some of:

http://www.youtube.com/user/raocow

videos as hes a pretty randomly funny guy but they can get repetitive so watch them in moderation :)

Soldato
I watched a borderlands one before i got the game myself. Commentary is vital, as for a couple of vidoes the guys sound didnt work, and it was boring as hell. Only thing is it spoiled the game for me as i knew what was coming, so i avoid them now.

Edit - Sorry i should correct myself, i watched a playthrough, not a walkthrough. It wasnt any super secrets exposed, just a guy playing it for the 1st time

Last edited:
Associate
I refuse to use walkthroughs as it's the same as cheating in my book (though if it's single player you are only cheating yourself of course! :p). I think it's made me a better gamer because of it. In the old days when adventure games were all the rage, some puzzles had me stuck for hours on end. But the satisfaction you get from finally cracking it makes it all worthwhile. On the flip side, there are lots of games over the years I've given up with because I just couldn't progress any further. Not happened for a very long time but I think that's more down to games being much easier these days than an improvement in my skill level.

Caporegime
i look for youtube videos when i get stuck.

Done it once or twice for my son on the lego games when we've run out of ideas.

I refuse to use walkthroughs as it's the same as cheating in my book (though if it's single player you are only cheating yourself of course! :p). I think it's made me a better gamer because of it. In the old days when adventure games were all the rage, some puzzles had me stuck for hours on end. But the satisfaction you get from finally cracking it makes it all worthwhile. On the flip side, there are lots of games over the years I've given up with because I just couldn't progress any further. Not happened for a very long time but I think that's more down to games being much easier these days than an improvement in my skill level.

depends on what you mean by "puzzle"

there is no satisfaction for walking around for hours on end looking for something.

If you are actually solving a puzzle of where to put things in what order etc.. then yes. But hunting round for hours is just boring.

Associate
depends on what you mean by "puzzle"

there is no satisfaction for walking around for hours on end looking for something.

If you are actually solving a puzzle of where to put things in what order etc.. then yes. But hunting round for hours is just boring.

I wouln't get any sense of achievement if I had used a walkthrough though. And puzzles are very rarely just looking for something. It's usually working out how to use something you already have.

Associate
Not at all. Some of the puzzles in the Lego games are complete balls. No logic to them at all.

It's also happened several times that a puzzle has glitched and not worked for us. Check a walkthrough and you can figure out that it's not working and start over before spending hours wasting time.

I must have been lucky then. Never had any problems in Lego games.

Soldato
watch loads of video game walkthroughs even on games i have no intention of buying, some are hilarious :D Usually from the Lets play archive or at the something awful forums

Soldato
I look at walkthroughs if I'm stuck. Most of the time it's something really silly that wasn't meant to be hard, if that makes sense. Only last night I got stuck (don't laugh) on HL episode 1 on my 2nd or 3rd playthrough. I needed a gun to shoot a padlock off and it turned out that the only gun available was in a crate, in a cage. I'd already smashed the crate and taken the other items. The gun was sat under the broken wood needing a gravity gun to fish it out and over the cage. It wasn't meant to be a puzzle.

Soldato
The only thing I watch are things like shout casts (game replays which have comentry over them and usualy are quite funny if they are decent) because I watch replays to learn a stratergy game fast when i've just picked it up and the comentary is just a bonus.

Caporegime
I wouln't get any sense of achievement if I had used a walkthrough though. And puzzles are very rarely just looking for something. It's usually working out how to use something you already have.

the ones we've used the walkthrough for are the ones where we've got stuck and had to work out where to go next.

One sticks in my mind, was how to get into the mos eisley cantina in lego star wars. It had a forcefield across the door

Took us hours to realise of bumbling around before we went on the net.

Turns out you just had to shoot the damn thing :o

we went looking for a way round it lol. Its that sort of thing that a video walkthrough is time saving for.

More recently, we had a problem with a missing brick on lego indianna jones 2. Looked everywhere, turns out the game was glitched as we had them all, but the game only registerd 9 out of 10 red bricks. Video walkthrough saved us a lot of hassle looking for a brick we already had, but the game had glitched and didnt register we had.

Caporegime
I play through the game firstly on the default setting and then any extra trophies/achievements will be attempted and if they're too hard I'll watch a walkthrough video.

I've used http://nextgenwalkthroughs.com/ for it's Call of Duty guides, the guy that does them is really helpful and the banter he has with his goofy friend is quite funny at times as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom