Email query - acceptable response time

Man of Honour
Just out of interest, what would you consider an acceptable response time having logged or registered some sort of query with a company (via email, or telephone)
At work our company policy is to respond within 1 hour - although my own customers would think something was wrong if I didn't respond within 15-30 mins.

What do you think is an acceptable sort of time for a company to respond (or at least acknowledge they are work on your query?)

Kae

Kae

Permabanned
Depends on the company tbh.

Medical gear, response within 30 mins (and technician working on machine within 2 hours).

Normal query's, response within 24 hours at most.

Man of Honour
I would expect some kinda confirmation (automated) within a couple of hours or so and a human response within 1-2 days.

Soldato
Depends on the query really. I'd say 24 hours should be enough, if the email/telephone query is done during normal business hours, I'd say by the end of the day if it's something that can be resolved quickly.

Permabanned
Depends on the nature of the email, the company, and your relationship with them.

If i email one of our suppliers or sub contractors i expect a response within an hour or less, however if a customer contacts us the usual response is 24hours, normally less but its all down to priorities. There are very few subcontractors for whom we are their major source of work so i expect priority response.

Man of Honour
24 hours for large companies, much less for small companies.

I've dealt with web hosts who advertise 24x7 support and have come to realise what some really mean is "wait 24 hours for a useless reply"....

Associate
It depends on the nature of the query, but I consider email to be non-urgent. If I wanted something done instantly, I would just phone.

Soldato
I've dealt with web hosts who advertise 24x7 support and have come to realise what some really mean is "wait 24 hours for a useless reply"....

Maybe you need to change hosts :p

I use TSO host and they give extremely helpful replies within minutes, even in the middle of the night.

Don
I lodged a question with a share broker about a sale I was about to make a few weeks ago

took them 5 days to reply and cost me £1000 :(

ntg

ntg

Associate
It is quite funny how email was heralded as the fastest medium to communicate and used as such a tool by companies, yet it usually takes longer for most companies to respond than calling them and getting the answer you want.

I find that any email response that takes longer than 4 hours is an unsuitable use of the medium. If I'm going to wait more than that then I'd better call them and sort it out (where possible and depending on the service).

cheers

Soldato
Email is a cancer IMHO, the perfect media for either being ignored or to back-heel an issue for someone who doesn't want to take responsibility for something. :mad:

Mind you, I detest working within the office environment altogether. :(

Back
Top Bottom