Worn/flat tyre advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Michelin won't give a toss because that tyre is over a decade old and should be in the bin, not fitted to a car, as new in 2010. It's simply unacceptable for any garage to fit tyres like that.

What makes you say that? If the guy has a receipt to show when it was fitted then surely any warranty would start then, not from the date of manufacture.

I'm not saying it was right of the garage to fit it in the first instance but if I was in Michelin CS I'd be very interested as it's not your normal run of the mill tyre claim.

Kae

Kae

Permabanned
I think you'll find those tyres can safely be called dangerous, and I'd think about legal action.

"In a statement from the British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) issued on June 5, 2001 regarding the age of tires they state, "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tires should not be put into service if they are over 6 years old and that all tires should be replaced 10 years from the date of their manufacture." Tire age can be accelerated by a variety of environmental factors, such as sunlight exposure and coastal climates. Poor storage and infrequent use of your vehicle are other things that can accelerate tire age."

Man of Honour
Could it be the tyre off the OP's spare wheel?

Very good shout indeed - especially as the car is a Clio and this is exactly the sort of tyre fitted to small French hatchbacks in the mid 90's.

That and £100ish for a new tyre, fitting, balancing and allignment seems rather good value..

OP - what year is your Clio? What's in the boot now..?

Soldato
OP
That's very useful Fox - greatly appreciated :). Might have to go back to the garage with a bit more knowledge other than "this tyre is blatantly ******".

Edit: It's an early MKII, and no, it's a "new" tyre from the garage - the spare wheel tyre is still on the spare wheel in the boot. They swapped the spare wheel (which was still fitted at the time since I put it on on the M5) with the "new" tyre and wheel when I was there at the end so I'm pretty sure of that.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That's very useful Fox - greatly appreciated :). Might have to go back to the garage with a bit more knowledge other than "this tyre is blatantly ******".

Edit: It's an early MKII, and no, it's a "new" tyre from the garage - the spare wheel tyre is still on the spare wheel in the boot. They swapped the spare wheel (which was still fitted at the time since I put it on on the M5) with the "new" tyre and wheel when I was there at the end so I'm pretty sure of that.

What does it say on your invoice about the tyre? Can you scan it?

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;16887658 said:
What does it say on your invoice about the tyre? Can you scan it?

I would, but it's at work and it'd be pointless: it's about as vague an invoice as you can get. Basically just says "Alignment and tyre" with £129 at the bottom, so it won't help :p.

Man of Honour
Why is it that 95% of the motor trade consists of dishonest, lazy or just plain incompetent morons?

Is there another trade that is so almost universally awful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom