Bonus Round: Kinect & Move Debate

Soldato
720p - http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/bonusround/407?ch=1&sd=1_hd

Even though E3 is over - the fallout from the show is still making headlines. So what does that mean for the rest of 2010? Our experts look into the future of the newly detailed motion control tech, what Nintendo will do to keep the casual gamer, what "Project Ten Dollar" is and what it means for the online gamer and more. Plus, our panel picks their choice for what they think is the best game of 2010 so far!

Associate
That Alex guy voiced my opinion pretty well. I haven't actually spoke to anyone that likes or is going to buy the Kinect or Motion system, yeah it's mostly 20 something males so not MS or Sonys target audience but still... I just can't think off how they are going to make money of these really, 90% of the 'hardcore' audience won't buy one and the casual audience have already got a Wii :confused:

Caporegime
I was in a highstreet game selling store today with my mrs and I've never had the hard sell in one of these stores ever. They saw me looking at the 360 games and kicked into over drive trying to ask me if I was interested in this wavey arm stuff.

When I stated quite politely I sit down feet up on the desk with a beer when I game I thought that would stop him.

He then started on about the wonders for my son (whose 13 months and will not be gaming) how he can pet virtual animals. Oh but you like driving games, then you can sit down and move your arms. No thanks I'd rather use a steering wheel or a pad.

I told him atleast 10 times I wasn't interested and this type of gaming was dead to me, the wii has been on about 6 times in 3 years, yet still he kept on coming at me until we walked out.

Soldato
The kinect system cant read you if your sat down and has no way of getting feed for accel/brake. So even then, nope.

NNNOOOOOO you cannot say that you'll be called a troll and upset some peoples feelings :D
Personally i see more hardcore gaming applications for move than kinect but kinect seem to be more family friendly. Well that is you only have two people in your family and no Sofa (this is a joke dont get upset ok??)

Associate
As with the consoles it's going to be the games that make or break these new pieces of hardware.

When I fist heard about Kinect (Natal) it sounded quite exciting but the more I thought about it the less interested I became. I just can't see how they are going to incorporate it with core games.

I could see myself using Move with a game like Killzone 3 but it really depends on the price point.

Think I'll hang on until after christmas and see how they're doing then.

Soldato
It depends on how well the controls are converted, killzone 2 used every button on the controller plus the sixaxis motions, its going to be hard to get that simplified down for the motion controllers, unless move is just used in the flying sections etc.

Caporegime
It depends on how well the controls are converted, killzone 2 used every button on the controller plus the sixaxis motions, its going to be hard to get that simplified down for the motion controllers, unless move is just used in the flying sections etc.

Doesn't need to be simplified. There are plenty of buttons on the Move controllers. Motion Control should compliment gameplay IMO. Not replace traditional control entirely. See Zelda: Twilight Princess as an example of this.

Soldato
I've got a Move pre-order in, I have absolutely no interest in party games though, so it's a mild gamble on the quality of it's implementation with hardcore games. Tbh, Echochrome 2 looks like my cuppa tea anyway, so that's a good start, plus I'm very intrigued in regards to it's application in FPS games.
It helps that I already have a PS Eye camera, so the move is only a £32 outlay.

Back
Top Bottom