Just hurt my wallet

Soldato
OP
I think asking somebody to marry you at 22 is a very silly idea for the record. Another likely statistic in the making.

How can you class it as being another statistic in the making? whats to say mr and mrs smith who have been happily married for 20 years could not divorce tomorrow? nothing is set in stone and surely most people who live in the real world should know that?

Ive known people who are married and split after a year of marriage yet lived together for ten before that? I see no difference in their marriage to my potential one?

besides and engagement does nothing but by the fella time. Which is only a good thing :p

I think that's a very shallow way of looking at things but hey its your opinion and your entitled to it!

I am currently looking into all options however the hotel is booked for 2 weeks solid so cant change that now. Although if we can find cheapo places to stay further afield it wouldn't be much of an issue. however it seems most of the things we are interested in are closer to Tokyo centre then the rest. most of the things that would require travel are only things that would take a day to see anyway.

Its the same with most places though, regardless of how much time you have its never enough!

Soldato
I have no idea about Japan but we got engaged 18 months ago when we were both 21 and it was the best thing I ever did, so if you're happy go for it. :D No one else can tell you what to do or think, it's completely your decision.

Soldato
I have some pictures from the couple of times I've been in Japan here ... no heckling from the Photography forum members ... I know I'm not very good at taking pictures :)

Includes a few other places (including those that Tilluss mentioned).

Last edited:

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Most people have covered things, only bits I'll add are:

If it's in season go to Mt Fuji. Go in an evening, climb over night, then descend next morning.

Go everywhere you can and see as much as you can, even mundane things there are awesome :p

Go to a nightclub called Womb, it is great.

Go to the alcatraz style restaurent if it's still there (google it I guess as no idea where it was, near Womb though I think).

I was lucky enough to have a friend living out there for 2 years so I popped over to see him before he came back. Meant I had an insiders guide to it all, spent time in Tokyo and Kagoshima (really nice place, recommend it). Had a few nights in a capsule hotel and didn't really sleep for the first 4 nights.

Went in 2006 when the world cup was on, so almost 4 years ago to the day I got back. Remember watching Portugal England in an irish bar, run by a guy from Holland, in Roppongi (wasn't a fan of that area really).

Ironically I left my fiancee (since married) at home when I went, she didn't want to go so I said cool, I'm still going though :p

Upside is since coming back she wants to go, can't wait to go back.

Many memories, many pictures, good times.

Last edited:
Associate
I live very close to the hotel that you'll be staying at. Nice area.

I recommend going out of Tokyo if possible for a day or so. Try staying at an Onsen in Izu for a day or something. Also, be sure to go out in night in Tokyo, pick up some random friends and they will show you the real culture.

I'd imagine you'll be ok in Tokyo with no Japanese, but outside maybe difficult. WHen I lived in Chiba, nobody really spoke English.

The Emperors palace is pooh, Tokyo Tower is average, definately go to Akasaka and visit the temple and get the boat to Hamamaschou, it's a really nice trip.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy it here, let me know if you have any q's.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
haha yes we are taking about £2k

thanks GAC we are going from the 3rd of september to the 17th this year

I might just give you a shout via trust email later to talk about the rail passes etc once i get all the relivant questions i need to ask from the GF.

:)

no worries, shame your not there for a few days longer, as the Tokyo games show is on the 18th and 19th for public viewing. if your lucky you maybe able to get in on the 16th if you can wangle a press pass though.

if you want a drunken guide il be about from the 11th having a little gathering in ikebukuro with a few locals, your more than welcome to crash and pester them for info on stuff to do if you want.

btw Ev0 when you went womb did they mess you about on the door, as when i tried in 2008 we got refused even though 2 people in the group where japanese and 2 others lived in Tokyo and spoke fluent japanese.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys! I have so much stuff to read into and research now! Spent last night with the misses going through some things she wanted to do and we are still trying to work out whether a rail pass would be the best option for where we want to go further afield.

I'm not to fussed about cramming it ALL in for the two weeks that we are there as im almost certain we will be going back there again.

Soldato
For working out how to get from A to B within Tokyo and to give you an indication of how much it will cost to do so the Tokyo Transfer Guide is quite useful

If you are going in September then it seems that JR East have a special for rail passes in that time (see here for details). This wouldn't cover you for a trip down to Kyoto though as JR East passes don't look to be valid on that line. A single to Kyoto from Tokyo is around Y13220-13520, (includes basic fare + express charge)

Last edited:
Associate
You can get many things done in two weeks. I would get the JR Pass if you're travelling to cities like Kyoto from Tokyo, cause..

* you can use it on the Narita Express
* reserve seats for free when it usually costs extra
* use it on JR lines in Tokyo, that includes the Yamamote Line

All the good advice has been mentioned. You can get by with no Japanese in the major cities.. I did :o However, somebody in my group (when I last went) did speak some Japanese.. very helpful when we got a bit lost.

and.. if you're into arcades/gaming, DON'T play the Japanese players in games like Street fighter III/IV. They will eat you for breakfast, lunch AND dinner. Your 100 yen coins will disappear so quickly you dunno what hit you :eek:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
and.. if you're into arcades/gaming, DON'T play the Japanese players in games like Street fighter III/IV. They will eat you for breakfast, lunch AND dinner. Your 100 yen coins will disappear so quickly you dunno what hit you :eek:

man up and kick some locals about its easy if you dont panic :p

also if you get in to the sega giga arcades they have the high score's on screens around the arcades so you can get a quick photo and show off :D

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
btw Ev0 when you went womb did they mess you about on the door

Nope, me and my friend even asked the bouncer chap outside if he had any discounted entry coupons. At first he said no then gave in and went and got us some.

Was a thoroughly good night, it was the day of the Germany/Argentina world cup game :)

Back
Top Bottom