Insurance is daylight robbery

Soldato
CBR600FV - first bike @ 20 think i paid £1500 TPTF.

You take your chances. what would the insurance be on a 160mph car that could out-accelerate a ferrari?

also bandits are cheaper as they are unfaired. the fairings on bikes cost a LOT! of wonga to do up.... if they don't have a fairing it's one less cost for the insurance. most bikes are wrote off after a scratched fairing!

Soldato
Bandit 650 K5, first bike, 21, 2007, 3 days after passing my test, £590 fully comp :D lol.

Now GSX-R 750 K1, 24, 2 years NCD(even though my bike was nicked, and I was paid out lol), £510 fully comp. Last year, same bike, £1470, that hurt me all year round paying that off lol.

Associate
You call £500 outrageous? When I got my full license at 21 I was paying £330 TPFT on a bike that could barely hit 100mph, so £500 at 18 on a 600 sports bike sounds very reasonable. Also, compared to what you'd have to pay to insure even the slowest car on earth I'd say it's incredibly cheap.

VBN

VBN

Associate
I paid about £1000 a year for a GPz1000RX back in 1991 TPFT, I was 19 it was shed load of cash.

Nows ist nice and cheap being an old fart less than £250 for GSXR1000.

Associate
cost to replace handlebars, levers, rearsets and exhaust can on bandit = ~£200

cost to replace single fairings, handlebars, levers, rearsets and exhaust can on a gsx-r = ~£1000

*note, i picked these numbers out of thin air to make a point :D

it's all justifiable, a small drop on a gsx-r will cost 4 times as much to repair as a small drop on an unfaired commuter, especially if the commuter has engine crash bars on it.. chaces are you'll just pick the bandit back up from a spill and ride off with a damaged ego. (speaking from experience, having owned and dropped/crashed both a GSX-R 400 and a bandit 600)

obviously on top of repair costs they have the sales market to consider, there's a lot more bandits for sale than gsx-r's... as well as crash statistics.. i'd hazard a guess that proportionately more gsx-r's are involved in insurance claims than bandits.

and then the obvious.. gsx-r 600 has 30mph on top of the bandit, and accelerates faster too...

For Reference:

GSX-R 400 cost me £400 to insure at 21 with 0y bike experience, 3y car experience and 0y ncb
Bandit 600 cost me £400 to insure at 22 with 1y experience, 4y car experience and 0y ncb and 2 crashes (yeah, oops)

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally, I don't think my insurance is too bad. For the first two years you are restricted to 33bhp, so no point getting a all out sports bike, a lower group sport tourer will be just as good and more forgiving than a gixxer.

I would be looking at upgrading to a gixxer or CBR6 when you get derestricted, therefore you will have more experience and NCB under your belt.

I retract my previous statement. Following passing my test today, I was charged £45 admin fee to change my insurance from a provisional to full licence. The premium was unchanged.

Back
Top Bottom