World Cup 2010 - Final (Sunday 11th July 2010) **spoilers**

Soldato
Wanting the dutch to win, but either way Spain or Holland, both would be a worthy winner.

Talismans, characters, class, and luck win you the world cup, both teams demonstrate those qualities in abundance.

For the dutch because, i reckon they owe the greats of dutch legends past, no doubt about it, dutch football is what it is because of greats of the 70's.. past on through the 80's and underated players of the 90's.

Soldato
Have they choosen the ref for the final yet?

Thought it was a good game last night, ref had a good game and NO bookings, he did miss a couple (ramos) but was refreshing to see a fair game, no diving/cheating etc.

Soldato
Have they choosen the ref for the final yet?

Thought it was a good game last night, ref had a good game and NO bookings, he did miss a couple (ramos) but was refreshing to see a fair game, no diving/cheating etc.

Theres was plenty of diving and the refs made a few bad calls. Padolski almost had his foot broken and no card was shown. :/

Associate
Heres hoping Webb to be in the final

Both teams are classy, both havent been playing amazingly well, but I think spain will edge it

Soldato
Yep Howard Webb has been announced as the Ref for the final.

Surprising as I've always thought he wasn't much good in the Premiership but he's had a decent tournament!

Que a million media jokes about at least there's one Englishman in the final :p

Soldato
Congrats to Howard Webb.

I think the reason he has had such a good tournament is he is refereeing teams that will go down easily but not even be subtle about it in a much slower game. In the Premiership games are often so quick with hard challenges that it is easier to be misled. That is what I think anyway. May or may not be true.

Either way he has been one of the best referees in the tournament and fully deserves to referee the final.

Here's hoping he can complete the perfect tournament by sending off Busquets, the ****.

Caporegime
boring?

you obviously wasnt watching pedro tonight.

and you have been asleep when villa has been destroying teams single handedly.

along with the midfield maestros of xavi and iniesta turning players inside out with their passes and through balls.

germany couldnt score a single goal tonight. so much for their 4 goal rampages

Can't agree with that, Pedro has great talent but his decision making is understandably poor given his lack of experience.

Villa barely did anything. Not his fault, he was in space plenty of times but his team mates failed to find him.

Xavi and Iniesta did lots of very pretty passes in front of the German team....but didn't really do a great deal with it. There just wasn't enough penetration, it was like watching Arsenal. In the first half Spain must have had a good 60% possession but Germany looked so much more dangerous with it.

And yes Germany were poor, never said they weren't. That doesn't mean Spain weren't poor as well. They just had some luck (Ramos not getting sent off and the penalty not being given) and a good header from Puyol.

Associate
Germany never had a plan B, they were relying on counter attack but that didn't work against spain because they have excellent defenders. All throughout this tournament i have been saying argentina's defense will let them down and the germans proved that when they faced a half decent side. The germans over achieved in my opinion and they should be proud of there young squad.

Its spain's to lose now in my opinion.

Associate
Xavi and Iniesta did lots of very pretty passes in front of the German team....but didn't really do a great deal with it. There just wasn't enough penetration, it was like watching Arsenal. In the first half Spain must have had a good 60% possession but Germany looked so much more dangerous with it.

And yes Germany were poor, never said they weren't. That doesn't mean Spain weren't poor as well. They just had some luck (Ramos not getting sent off and the penalty not being given) and a good header from Puyol.

I keep reading that on the board. Iniesta/Xavi have won 4 out of 6 La Liga, 2 CL, the Euro's and are now in the world cup final- not bad for guys that just play nice passes with no penetration!
Germany were made look poor by how Spain played. Unlike England, Spain didn't give the ball away every 15s as they don't try and force it after 3 passes and when they did lose the ball they put huge pressure on Germany right away and usually won it back within 10s.
If Spain play as well on Sunday they will more than likely be the world champions. My main worry is that Villa didn't look sharp against Germany.

Last edited:
Caporegime
All i can say to the Dutch is good luck in trying to get the ball back from the Spanish....i noticed against Germany and many other teams they have played that they run the other team ragged when they have possession.

And when the other team has the ball, Spain just hassle them into making mistakes...spain play lovely football and its fustrating that they just seem to keep passing and trying to get a pretty goal when really sometimes just shoot the ****ing ball and hopefully get a nice rebound or something then knock it in:p...but they do play Arsenal like football...great at passing but dont score many goals doing so.

So i expect either a 1-0 Spain win or something like 2-1 Spain...i dont think the Dutch are any better tbqh.

Soldato
All i can say to the Dutch is good luck in trying to get the ball back from the Spanish....i noticed against Germany and many other teams they have played that they run the other team ragged when they have possession.

And when the other team has the ball, Spain just hassle them into making mistakes...spain play lovely football and its fustrating that they just seem to keep passing and trying to get a pretty goal when really sometimes just shoot the ****ing ball and hopefully get a nice rebound or something then knock it in:p...but they do play Arsenal like football...great at passing but dont score many goals doing so.

So i expect either a 1-0 Spain win or something like 2-1 Spain...i dont think the Dutch are any better tbqh.

Spot on Spawn, Spain may overplay sometimes just like Arsenal do but they play some fantastic, intricate passing. Keeping the ball for the length of time that they do obviously tires the opposition out and I don't think it's a coincidence that Spain seem to start looking more dangerous around the 60-70 minute mark.

I was impressed with the way Spain hassled Germany when they lost the ball, often resulting in Spain regaining possession. I think Spain were generally extremely comfortable against Germany and could have cranked it up a gear or two if they had needed to. Spain to beat Holland 2-1.

Back
Top Bottom