• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus Ares Quad-fire review

Soldato
Am disappointed at the lack of eyefinity resolutions. Insane though anyway, won't be picking up two of these any time soon :p

Gotta agree with TheRealDeal, not quite sure why some of those games were in there :confused:

Soldato
That has never stopped enthusiasts before. Plus the extra memory and clock speed are utilised at higher res's and allow you to max out the eye candy or come close enough.

Soldato
Nope,
The way it works, is that all stock fans have been changed out for noiseblocker pro 1200rpm fans. The rear one is reversed so it's an intake (have also added a filter to stop dust). I've actually mounted each corner of the rear fan using 6 rubber grommets to distance it slightly from the rear grille. This cuts out turbulence. The bottom fan is also an intake, as is the fan cooling the HD's. And finally the 2 sidefans on the sidepanel are intakes. So that's 5 intakes all controlled by a 6 channel lian li fan controller (the 6th channel controls the memory cooler). Most of the time I leave the fan intakes at minimum or close to, except when gaming. The top fans are all exhausts. There are 4 apache blacks, with 2 in push pull for the H50. I have them all hooked up to an akasa pwm fan cable (which powers off molex) and they are going directly into the cpu fan header on the motherboard. They spin faster when the cpu gets hotter. Most of the time they spin at around 950rpm. When gaming I turn the intakes up. This generates positive airflow. So far have had very very little dust get into the case.

Last edited:
Soldato
mate - i had a trifire setup. In fact I tested with a 5970 4gig and a 5870 2gig. The 5970 4gig quadfire setup was faster in all benchmarks and all games. Otherwise I would have stuck with trifire. So unless you are just talking from personal experience of using quadfire at 5870 speeds and 2gig ram per gpu and not what you read in reviews - I don't agree with you. a lot of the reviews tested quadfire ages ago and it wasn't very good. Bodar on youtube tested 4x5870's and found that quadfire was often slower then trfire. Since then there have been a number of driver updates and things have improved dramatically especially scaling on the 4th gpu. But people seem to think quadfire still sucks and it automatically earns the title of waste of money. I get the feeling your'e angry about something with comments like 'pointless', 'only good thing about your cards' etc.. That kind of negativity isn't appreciated.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine are actually the non toxics which are same clock speed as ares but only 50mhz slower then the toxics and they clock to 1000mhz anyway with a volt mod.

I tried with an asus essence st in the pci slot between my cards. Ran no problem, maybe 4-5 degrees hotter but I found there was a weird turbulence noise. Glad I held onto the EVGA now I suppose as I can run a X-Fi in the top.

Back
Top Bottom