White runners - why bother?

Caporegime
Good point actually. And heavier bones, or is that a myth?

Black people do actually have bigger bone density. Blacks can't play ice hockey either it seems. There is only around 30 maybe less black people in the NHL.

Black people generally have a higher percentage of fast-twitch fibres, that's why many top athletes in a lot of sports are black.

Last edited:
Caporegime
[DOD]Asprilla;16919802 said:
Fast-twitch muscle fibres are used for power, not endurance events. Having more fast twitch fibres is exactly what you don't want to be a long distance runner.

I was on about his 100m point.

Associate
its not just genes either there are some social/cultural factors as well ie theres not many pools/ski jumps/sports centres in kenya hence the national sport is long distance running

Caporegime
Black people do actually have bigger bone density. Blacks can't play ice hockey either it seems. There is only around 30 maybe less black people in the NHL.

Black people generally have a higher percentage of fast-twitch fibres, that's why many top athletes in a lot of sports are black.

I can only think of a few black NHL players off the top of my head and that's Mike Grier, Jerome Iginla, Kyle Okposo and Ray Emery. Must be more though.

Soldato
Ice hockey is a sport that requires a fair bit of money - skates, a stick, helmet, body armour, plus fees for practising on a rink or a pair of rollerblades to practice on the street. Since black people make up only ~20% of the population and perhaps less in canada, and statistically they tend to be poorer, becoming an nhl player is unlikely. There are lots of different factors to consider.

A white man did just run the first sub-ten 100m just recently.

Associate
I have a mate who's mum is Jamaican, he is a quick sprinter, not good at endurance though, and not that physically strong. White guys do tend to be better at strength events, strongest man in the world is dominated by white guys, as are a lot of the field events in athletics. Of course its not that cut & dried, there's some great black (and Asian) strength athletes, in the same token some great white sprinters like Jeremy Wariner.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom