Do YOU stay later at work unpaid?

Soldato
At the end of the day most businesses pay people a salary because they expect them to do a job, not clock watch like a labourer, etc. Sometimes work may need an extra 15 minutes, occasionally you may need to stay a few hours and really bust a gut. That is to be expected as very few businesses have exactly the same workload every day. Most would go bust if they employed enough people to ensure that there was never any pressure on people to perform.

If you are employed on a 40 hour contract and regularly need to do more like 50 then clearly something is amiss. Consider the following options:

1. If you don't mind the extra work then push for a pay rise / promotion based on your dedication and extra work.
2. If you want to go home then push for some of your tasks to be moved out to other people a you cannot do them in your working day.
3. You should also carefully consider if the problem is caused by you either faffing or not being capable of performing at the required level.

This.

Soldato
Staying late some evenings when there is a high workload is fine with me as long as the employer understands that it works both ways. My current employer seems to understand this but I've worked for companies in the past that only clock watch when it suits them.

Unless you are a high up manager, I'd wager most companies would get annoyed with you (or refuse) if you asked to go home a couple of hours early on the odd Friday afternoon if you were going away for the weekend, even if you regularly work over your contracted hours.

Soldato
I work in a flexible manner for a flexible practice;

- ~37.5hrs per week,
- Start ~0800-0930hrs & finish ~1630-1800hrs.
- If I need an afternoon off /to finish early / days off for personal clashes then that's fine; they know that I happily work extra hours here there if a deadline is approaching, or there are unforeseen events (sick colleagues/ project changes etc).

If you work substantial extra hours then I'll be paid or provided with time off in lieu - usually with the choice given to me.

A sensible employer will look to be flexible with it's employees, providing they don't take the biscuit. Unfortunately this is often impossible to enforce within larger companies where there are so many levels of unsuitable management that every detail has to be documented and enforced under scrutiny.

Man of Honour
And Creda closed down because manufacturing in Blythe Bridge was not cost effective iirc

Hmm.... :p

Yep and that's why it went to Poland where they could pay them 1/10 wage, make them work as many hours as they want and use the cheapest parts without the likes of me coming down on them.
However there is a revolt going on at the Polish factory and 95% of the products are going on the floor.

Associate
Can't stay and not get paid for it as I clock and we use a flexi based system.

Hours required per week are 37 and we have to take 42 minutes for lunch (unpaid) which happens at 12:30 until 13:12.

We have to be clocked in
between 10:00 and 15:30 Mon-Thurs
between 10:00 and 12:30 Friday

Earliest we can start is 07:00
Latest we can finish is 18:30

Any time extra we build up can be used outside of core hours to do a shorter shift i.e. You could work from 07:00 until 18:30 one day then the next from 10:00 until 15:30 and you'd be about even.

If you don't use your extra time it goes into a flexi balance which is controlled electronically and can be converted to days off, which you can have a maximum of 2 "Flexi-Days" per month.

Overtime is paid for any hours clocked outside the limits, but is it has to be cleared by management first.

Permabanned
nope, im a chef and if i have done my weekly quota of 45 hours and i still have a shift left to do i either dont work it or take it off the following week
simple as that

Associate
Can't say i've ever worked to my allotted 37.5 hour week ever!

I work as Technical Manager for the UK's largest IT and Telecoms distributor (no one technical more senior than me in a £400M turnover company).

An average day for me is:

6.00am Alarm Sounds
6.40am Leave and hit the road. 70 mile communte to the office
8.15-8.30am arrive in the office
Work through
12 noon - 15 min break for a sandwich
Work through
Leave between 6pm and 7pm
Arrive home between 7.40pm and 8.40pm
Bed about 1am

12-14 hour days but thouroughly enjoy it. Paid what I deserve with perks so why complain about the hours.

Soldato
With the responsibilty and skill I expect you are well rewarded

At the end of the day I'd rather work my way up the ladder and if it involves longer hourse that's part of the job etc.

With senior sever engineer roles I'm on call and have no issue with extended hours etc.

I'm pretty much on call 365 days a year, but it's not a problem

Last edited:
Soldato
Recently, I've been getting in early (7:15 when my normal start is 8:00) and occasionally staying beyond 16:00, but it's not for the benefit of the school or the company. I've been doing it purely for the programming I've been doing - if I get going, it's hard to stop me and I don't like to leave when the code is flowing.

So it's weird. I imagine once my projects are over, I'll only be staying late or getting in early if disaster recovery is necessary.

Soldato
6.00am Alarm Sounds
Bed about 1am

12-14 hour days but thouroughly enjoy it. Paid what I deserve with perks so why complain about the hours.

It's great that you can do that. It would be impossible for me to perfom to a high standard on 5 hours of sleep. In fact it would probably be dangerous for me to drive 70 miles with so little sleep.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
No chance i stay behind to do some work that i wont get paid.... Even if they tried forcing me still wouldn't do it... Home time is home. Get out asap. Simples

Lately at work they have been asking me to stay behind another 10mins on top of my normal shift...

I give them the normal crap i say to them " No chance in hell..."

Soldato
unfortunately yes.
If i work a close shift during the week, its just me and a shift leader. If the pub is quiet i can get it closed down and out on time for 1am but if we are busy and i can't start shutting the place down until then i wont get out till around 1.30/2am and i wont get paid for it. Think i did around 3 hours unpaid last week which is a joke. Just because they wont put the staff on, we are expected to work unpaid or get sacked for refusing to work unpaided. The company is a joke in so many ways

Last edited:
Associate
haha, good old British work culture :)

I work 9-6 officially but have never left at 6pm... not even once. I usually finish around 9-10pm and very rarely take an whole hour allocated for lunch. Not to mention I usually arrive about 8:30am to get some bits ready. 95% of the people in my office are the same and no one ever says a word. In other words, I leave home around 7:30 and get home around 11, but that's why we have Saturday and Sunday!

Topping this, I do occasionally get calls out of hours on weekends, or around 11-12pm. This is life. Why are British people so arrogant about these kind of things...?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
haha, good old British work culture :)

I work 9-6 officially but have never left at 6pm... not even once. I usually finish around 9-10pm and very rarely take an whole hour allocated for lunch. Not to mention I usually arrive about 8:30am to get some bits ready. 95% of the people in my office are the same and no one ever says a word. In other words, I leave home around 7:30 and get home around 11, but that's why we have Saturday and Sunday!

Topping this, I do occasionally get calls out of hours on weekends, or around 11-12pm. This is life. Why are British people so arrogant about these kind of things...?

Wow seriously? You spend pretty much your entire life in somebody elses premesis doing work for them and you think WE are arrogant for not wanting to share your 'lifestyle'?

Seriously, 7am until 11pm?

I hope they pay you at least £100k a year for that.

Associate
[TW]Fox;16932834 said:
Wow seriously? You spend pretty much your entire life in somebody elses premesis doing work for them and you think WE are arrogant for not wanting to share your 'lifestyle'?

Seriously, 7am until 11pm?

I hope they pay you at least £100k a year for that.

Depends on the year, but between £40k - £600k. The harder I work, the more I earn. I spend my life on someone else's premises but basically work for myself. I can understand people not wanting to mimic my hours, but refusing to stay 10 minutes to help out your boss just because you don't get paid is ridiculous.

Do we not all think that many of Britains problems are linked to this kind of mindset? We can't be bothered to help someone for 10 minutes, yet we constantly complain about the state of the country and economy. What would we do if the police refused to work for an extra 10 minutes to ensure a criminal was locked up securely, or if the prime minister went home at 4pm?

Back
Top Bottom