"Milo" Shown off at TED

Soldato
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10623423.stm

Check out the video in the link. Really interesting technology as for me I can see them using this to create dynamic and interactive story lines for games. In a way like what we can get in basic form from games like Heavy Rain or even Mass Effect 2 but with much more depth.

For example you might need to get some information out of a character and unless you ask the right questions in the right way with the correct emotion/tone you won't get what you need. I'm quite looking forward to having such depth and possibility placed into game story lines and I think it will be just another step towards true immersion in alternate realities with the use of 3D and holo graphics and such (In the much longer term).

Pretty interesting!

Soldato
I sure Molyneux will be able to come up with some **** game where your actions either turn him ultimately evil with growths and carbuncles all over him or supurbly good with more than a passing resemblence to the Archangel Gabriel. Pretty much just like all the other **** games he makes these days :rolleyes: (What a decline his gaming heritage has been since Populous :( )

Soldato
It's really good in theory - however, it's whether or not they can implement it well enough to be used in a game...

We'll have to see - Molyneux is well known for hyping things up that people are disappointed with when they arrive - I won't hold my breath :p

Associate
I work in an area of AI research that looks into Virtual Agents and Embodied Conversational Agents.
What he is proposing is a long way off and for "Milo" to be anything more than a highly scripted NPC with some tricks behind it would be a surprise.

Soldato
Peter Molyneux has always chatted complete **** when it comes to his games. He did pretty much the same things with black and white back in the day. "It will change and adapted based on who you are, the decisions you make in game will actually have an effect on your own life. If you get hurt in the game you'll die in real life" Etc

And what gets released every time? the same tight scripted carp :p

/rant

By the way I dont feel that strongly about this so if anyone wants to tell me I'm wrong I'll happily agree :D

Soldato
Molyneaux throws out a soundbite with enough frequency to ensure him and his new shiny game are constantly being referenced in the media.
It's entirely deliberate, he's done it for ages now and it's what lost my respect for him.
Seriously, if your game is decent enough then it'll sell itself, there's no need to spout a nugget of controversy once a week to keep people's attention.
I think Kotick does the same thing, but a little less regularly and we all know what a festering bell end he is.

Soldato
Molyneaux throws out a soundbite with enough frequency to ensure him and his new shiny game are constantly being referenced in the media.
It's entirely deliberate, he's done it for ages now and it's what lost my respect for him.
Seriously, if your game is decent enough then it'll sell itself, there's no need to spout a nugget of controversy once a week to keep people's attention.
I think Kotick does the same thing, but a little less regularly and we all know what a festering bell end he is.

LOlz very well put

Associate
I really want this tech to work (Kinect more than milo) but im not convinced at the moment. The skimming stones was very laggy. Also PM says its mostly just a trick and i wonder how easy it is to 'break' the trick. For example, when you get to choose whether milo crushes the snail - would it recognise "dont crush it milo!" Would be interesting to see...

Soldato
proves that you can sit down then stand up during use of kinect which is good. i quite like the idea of milo, however isn't milo just a technical demo? or is it a case of microsoft wish to offer milo as a developer tool?

Back
Top Bottom