Not happy at all with GEIL

Associate
I know prices of components decrease after several years but to be credited £25 for something you paid £160 3 years ago is a joke.

The RAM was their Geil Ultra DDR2 2.0GB PC6400 sticks which were faulty and the retailer I purchased them from sent them back 12 weeks ago. I have just got off the phone to them because they sent me an email telling me I had been credited with £25.71 because GEIL had no replacements for me...now why on earth put a limetime warranty on an item,then not be able to replace them only 3 years later....now thats another joke.

I am now waiting on the retailer to get back to me with details on the RAM (serial no) so I can put a complaint into GEIL.

Surely GEIL are doing something wrong here having not replaced my item with working models...is there anyone outthere with any info on what I can actually say to them about this issue.

Man of Honour
Slightly on the low side - but - they worked fine for 3 years - you can replace them with similiar stuff for £30 so I wouldn't have thought it unreasonable for them to either replace with the same RAM or refund you circa £35.

Associate
It likely wont be Geil who are crediting you but the store.

Find out who it is before writing off to complain to the (potentially) wrong party.

Also, £160 for 2gb of Geil ultra 3 years ago? According to my Ocuk account I paid about £60 for 4gb of that stuff in 2007.

Edit: my bad, was £49 on the 6th of Jan '08. Still almost 3 years though.

Associate
OP
I know it was the store who credited me I did say it was the retailer who credited me with the £25.71...another thing is how can they credit me with this amount when it's showing as out of stock on their own site?

I had to check my invoice the RAM was purchased on 11/12/06 so it's just over 4yrs old still no excuse for GEIL not replace them or give me something similar in return.

To be honest I think its the retailer trying to pull a quick one, all they said to me is that GIEL couldn't fix the RAM and didn't send any replacement. Surely it's not upto the retailer to credit me after all these years?? when the product is out of warranty with the shop but still under warranty with the manufacturer.

Associate
It sounds like the store is doing a number on you tbh .... I would email/phone GEIL directly and ask them about their RMA policy for items that are discontinued & out-of-stock but within warranty.

A simple question like that could give you all the answers you need and from that you can take your complaint to the correct party.

Associate
OP
It sounds like the store is doing a number on you tbh

My thoughts exactly m8

A simple question like that could give you all the answers you need and from that you can take your complaint to the correct party.

Which I am trying to do so.

I would email/phone GEIL directly and ask them about their RMA policy for items that are discontinued & out-of-stock but within warranty.

Will email Geil not going to phone them they only have numbers for Taiwan,China & North America. I am waiting on the retailer to get back to me with the part numbers and so on.

Associate
I had some GEIL 8500 Black dragon ram die a couple of weeks ago which was bought from overclockers 13/10/08.

Emailed GEIL rma address with memtest logs got a reply 3 hours later with an rma number, accepted postage and packaging methods, and an address sent it off to Taiwan (both sticks despite one being fine as it was bought as a dual channel kit) got a new identical set back yesterday. all working so something seems a bit iffy in your case.

Associate
I had this with a certain retailer regarding a MB. They said that they didn't have to honour to manufacturers warranty after a year. Once I'd got in touch with the manufacturer their position changed totally.

Associate
OP
The main thing thats got me is that the retailer didn't email me about the situation. I phoned them 8 weeks after they rma'd the ram, then again on the 9th week. On the 10th week I was told they were still waiting for the ram to be returned and were waiting on a overdue delivery from taiwan and was told they would email as soon as the ram arrived.

Now after 12 weeks with still no reply I had to initiate things myself once again by phoning them and asking what was going on. 20 mins later I receive an email telling me I had been credited £25.71 which to me seems a bit dubious.

I am now waiting on a reply from Geil see what they have to say.

Last edited:

C64

C64

Soldato
I wish rma info was more widely available having to send ram to taiwan is ridiculous I wont be buying any geil products in future until they open a european based rma service.

Associate
OP
The thing thats ****ed me off the most is why Geil didn't even attempt to replace it with anything similar (thats if Geil even received the memory in the 1st place from the retailer) and how quickly the retailer replied to my phone call with an abrupt credit note.

Their GeIL Black Dragon DDR2 800 is of the same spec less the heat spreaders.

Let's just wait and see what Geil have to say it's now been 24hrs since my email to them without a reply.

Associate
OP
ok well I finally got a message back from geil, and not from the 1st message I sent I actually sent an email to their china office who replied with this.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please send the defective modules to us directly. We are SO sorry for all the inconveniences brought to you.

Here is your RMA number:

Please fill out the form as attachment (with RMA no.), and send back the original printed paper with ram sticks to the address below:

Now how can I send them back when they already supposed to have them!!! I told them in the previous email that the retailer had rma'd the ram back for me.

The situation goes on.

Associate
OP
Tell the retailler that you want the RAM back and that you are refusing the refund

Quite hard to do m8 if the retailer told me they rma'd the ram to Geil ..and Geil are telling me they didn't even receive the ram from the retailer.

I sent a complaint to the retailer what Geil have said, and I have reported this issue with trading standards who have told me to phone back if nothing can be sorted...which looks like I will be doing.

Soldato
Well presumably the retailler would have needed an RMA number themselves to return it to Geil, if they could give it to you then you could explain the situation to Geil.

And £25 is a joke really you cant even buy a set 2nd hand for that

Associate
OP
Right I just got mail from the retailer

Dear Sir

I apologise for the inconvenience this situation has caused however based on the current value of your item and a cost of between £45 to £65 to return the item to Taiwan, we believe that a replacement is too costly so we have decided to issue a credit note to value of the £25 Inc. VAT.

The sales of goods act states that if repair or replacement is too costly then a partial refund can be issued based on the depreciation of the item and benefit gained by the customer from using the item.

If you do not want the credit we can either cancel the credit note, keep you on waiting until we have sufficient stock to return to Taiwan or cancel the credit note, keep you on waiting and you can pay the postage costs of returning the item to Geil.

So this being they make me wait 12 weeks probably longer if I didn't get in touch.

1st of all tell me they're waiting for the ram to be returned, then now telling me it would cost them too much to return the item to Taiwan..so basically they didn't send it in the 1st place because they thought in their own mind it would be better to give me a credit note of £25..when it would have cost me £20 to post it myself.

So if they still have it then I will definitaly ask for it back and send it off myself.

I will phone them again tomorrow and quote this to them see what they have to say.

your in breach of contract under the sales of goods act, the goods are not satisfactory quality

Soldato
So in otherwords, you've been unlucky with some GEIL RAM (who are usually pretty reliable) and now said retailer are trying to shaft you.

I'd go after that retailer mate, I sent some stuff over to China myself this morning, airmail tracked priority and that cost about £6 (was a set of headphones and some paperwork), via Royal Mail, so I can't imagine it'd cost another £14 for some RAM. (And it wasn't the cheapest service I used)

Either way, get your RAM back and RMA it directly, as it seems GEIL are trying to help, or get on at the retailer and go back to trading standards if you need to, because it sounds like its them, NOT GEIL, who are being funny.

Associate
OP
I have just replied back to the retailer

So in the 12 weeks of you making me wait for the ram which I was told had been sent off to Taiwan your now telling me you didn't send it in the 1st place? in this time I could have sent it back myself and still be able to use my pc.

Also as I was lied to by your employees I will be asking for the ram back your in breach of contract under the sales of goods act, the goods are not satisfactory quality and I will personally rma the ram myself to Geil which will cost me £20.

Back
Top Bottom