Raymond Lin's Wedding Thread of 2010

Caporegime
OP
I find the brightness of the window behind really distracting in 2 and 3 but otherwise very nice. As said 15 is excellent, I'd be more than happy to have had shots like that from the photgrapher on my wedding day.

Is the corner darkness in some of the shots intentional as in a feature of that lens or did you add it PP.

I will try to explain.

The brightness for photo 2 and 3. Why is it so bright, the reasons are 2 fold. First, technical, the light is coming from the window. Back lit, the light in the room is not switched on, it is 11am after all. In real life it actually was not that bright in the room, the sun is not actually shining directly into the room. So, to get enough light into MY side of the subject, i had to expose it more. The result is blowing out the window. That is not a problem here because the window has clutter, apart from the mirror on it, there were other objects, and not to mention the garden and trees outside. I wanted the sisters doing make up as the main source of focus, which is the artistic reason for blowing it out. If i had not, and follow the camera's own metering, i would end up with a half silluette, which is crap.

The vignetting in the photos, they are mostly intentional, some are not when shot on the 16-35 at 16mm with a uv filter on i get a bit of vignetting. I add it in for artistic reasons. Mainly because there normally nothing of interest in the corners, and this draws the eye towards the middle.

Last edited:
Soldato
^
I like it and well explained. I know I would tend to over expose my background too, better to have my subjects exposed right than an under exposed subject which you'll have to tinker and possibly ruined it with artefacts.

Which lens did you use, because the bokeh is lovely for number 3, especially indoors with things being fairly close to one another.

Soldato
I'm off to a friends wedding this weekend in Newquay... then I've got to start organising mine for next year!!...

These Photies have given me some great Ideas!!..

Wicked shots mate!.. hope I can come some where close with my trusty 400D :)

Soldato
I'm getting married in Sept so I've been looking at photographers, all the ones I've seen are just boring and all the pictures look soul-less, they all also have a stupid shot of the groom, ushers and his mates doing a jump in front of the venue :rolleyes: They all charge around the same as you too. Other cheesy shots include the bride hiding behind a tree and the groom looking for her *shudders*

Anyways what I'm getting at is that your pics are superb!

Caporegime
OP
Also, did you use a diffuser on the flash like a sto-fen or a lumiquest one at all?

Oh, sorry I missed that.

First, the flash question.

I don't use any Tupperware :p, I bounce it off the ceiling most of the time. :)

As for holding the 135L and have it sharp. I shoot most of the time with a single focus point, and have that point land on my "target". And that target is often the eys. it's almost muscle memory now to have that point land on the eyes or head of the person without i even thinking about it.

Soldato
Do you focus and shoot straight away and then crop in post to ensure you get optimum focus everytime? Or do you focus, hold focus, frame, and shoot?

I do the latter but of course you risk things moving in that time and losing focus when shooting wide open.

Caporegime
OP
Do you focus and shoot straight away and then crop in post to ensure you get optimum focus everytime? Or do you focus, hold focus, frame, and shoot?

I do the latter but of course you risk things moving in that time and losing focus when shooting wide open.

Err..

Normally, I see a person in the crowd or the bride and try and picture the picture in my head. Basically, i know what i want to shoot a couple of seconds before i do, then dial in the focus point in accordance to portrait or landscape, hold camera up, watch through the viewfinder and shoot when i see that moment. It takes practice to know what they are about to do, a lot of time they can be already doing something interesting like dancing so i shoot straight away. Soon as i hear that beep i press it all the way.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Oh, i rarely crop. I do rotate so its level but i seldom crop it much. 99% of shots are uncropped. When i do its not because I shoot wide to begin with and "make a photo" out of it later. I crop to remove clutter on the edges, or a annoying bit of void of space on the side.

I frame it as i shoot normally.

Back
Top Bottom