New car for around £5,000

Associate
Following on from my last thread I bought a cheap run around in order to save up for a better car towards the end of the year. Due to a change in circumstances I might be getting one in the next couple of months.

It needs to be fairly reliable and usable on a day to day basis. I don't commute too far so MPG isn't a huge problem. Ive picked a few I like and so far the short list is made up of a Leon Cupra R or an Integra DC5.

Tbh im leaning towards the Cupra due to the fact that with a remap you can squeeze quite a few more horses out of it without spending a fortune.

Can anyone comment on them or suggest any alternatives?

Cheers

Associate
OP
I am willing to stretch the budget a grand for the right one. Granted the DC5 was just an after thought but I did see a couple for under 6k. As for the Cupra there is quite a few for around 5k, it will be the 210bhp one not the 225 but that doesnt bother me too much.

Soldato
Thats a standard Cupra, the standard Cupra is 180BHP not sure about 210 unless its been remapped or i'm getting confused, my mate had one, you'll get a good example of a Leon Cupra for £5k with change but not a Cupra-R, there are better cars out there for this money

Soldato
Look on Piston Heads theres plenty of Cupra R's for around 5k. Any there were two versions of the Cupra R, a 210 and a 225. The 210 being the older one with a couple of differences like bigger wing mirrors and minor details

Ah yeah like the S3. Fair enough, I still wouldnt want to buy a £5k example of either

Don
£5000 is the right amount for a DC2.

But being 10+ years old, you'll need to find out that either has no rear arch rust, or has already had this problem sorted.

Also, the suspension bushes will need doing, this costs ~£300-900 ish (depending if you do it yourself or not)

I've spent around £1200 in 1 year of ownership on general servicing, £240 of that was a new alarm mind.

In that ~£950, I've had this done..

4x oil & filter changes (I do them myself)
New tyres on all corners
New rear brake pad and discs
New upper control arms -was cheaper to buy the whole thing, than get the bushes/ball joints
Front right wheel bearing (the old one just died)
Magnetic gearbox & sump plugs
Air filter cleaned
Gearbox oil change
and an MOT

Getting a new clutch, replica mugen airbox & filter, and valve clearances done soon, will be ~ £600 ish, oh and new engine mounts as stock ones will be dead by now

Compared to other performance cars, it's reasonably cheap to maintain, but I like to keep on top of the maintenance side as I plan to keep it

Soldato
£5000 is the right amount for a DC2.

He said DC5 not DC2, yes you can get a DC2 for £5k but at ten years old with a high revving engine and a body that rots would you want to pay that kind of money for one?

Theres one near me for £5.5k one owner from new with full main dealer history, thats the kind of DC2 i'd be after if I was to part with that kind of money for a ten year old plus car

Don
He said DC5 not DC2

I know, I was bouncing off your reply :)

Relentless81 said:
yes you can get a DC2 for £5k but at ten years old with a high revving engine and a body that rots would you want to pay that kind of money for one?

Theres one near me for £5.5k one owner from new with full main dealer history, thats the kind of DC2 i'd be after if I was to part with that kind of money for a ten year old plus car

That's how much I paid for mine

Edd, it's great down this way, there are no pot holes, and the main road that I use has recently been relaid.

It was terrible to drive around Newport, I had to visit 9 sites in a day last year, and used almost half a tank from Cardiff to Newport, 9 sites and back to Cardiff.

The roads in Cardiff and Newport are shocking though

Was trying to point out that it wouldn't be super cheap to run.

Soldato
DC5 is double that moleh. Anything near £6-7k arnt worth considering.

Best car for you in this budget = EP3. Again, you'll be pushing it to find a nice one though. But worth it.

Back
Top Bottom