Project: Excess

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
But if it's not a gaming rig then why would you want a two card SLI'd 480 solution? Just doesn't make sense saying the motherboard isn't for games, what exactly is it for?

I was under the impression that Nvidia / ATI GPU's are built with gaming in mind. Saying that, would there not be an alternative GPU solution for professional use?

480 sli will easily run anything on max res. the motherboard is a workstation chipset. evga just tailored it for overclocking. i7 on x58 isnt even aimed at gamers really.

sure you could put a quaddro/fireGL/tesla in there if you required it but if you were looking at those cards you would be looking at boards from supermicro and not evga

the SR2 is simply a practice in excessivness. i dont know where it fits in the market as it is really too expensive for the average home user and its only main use is as a number cruncher.

we have established many times that a nehalem i7 provides very little extra in terms of gaming performance over say an i5 or PII X6

a gulftown i7 is pure overkill for any game

so an extra hex core cpu [in this case westmere] will at best push another 8-10fps out of a game.

either way the bandwidth of this platform will allow for much better performance in benchmarks such as Vantage which is why the EVGA Classified
"Super Record" 2 is aimed at breaking benchmarks.

Associate
Mine will be used as a smaller version of a "render farm". The extra gpus can help in real time video applications but I would go to 3x sli at most. That said the 7x pci-e means i have room for a revo drive as well etc.

Associate
WOW. Personally I hate the case though, computers shouldn't be red and have a big ugly spider on them imo.

Yeah we all so sorely miss the mass beige box with no distinguishing features...

But seriously, let the dude have his spider if he wants to, the sheer amount of awesome within makes this build impervious to critique by default. :cool:

- Ordokai

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah we all so sorely miss the mass beige box with no distinguishing features...
But seriously, let the dude have his spider if he wants to, the sheer amount of awesome within makes this build impervious to critique by default. :cool:
- Ordokai

I didn't mean beige i just think black would look a lot better which is now far more common to buy than beige...

Soldato
If I was building a twin CPU computer with soe ridiculous board in it, I wouldn't choose a nice understated case either....

The point of it is to be faster and more powerful than anything else, so it wouldn't really be right to house it in a TJ07 or 800D would it? It needs to be some rediculously large, overly vulgar case.

Besides, if you had this, it wouldn't be your everyday PC would it? It's be the once in a blue rig. The computer equivilant of a trackday car or bike, that gets used once a month. :p

Soldato
Just spotted something, it has an IDE connector? Why?

I'm not being all nerdy, actually wondering if there are some legal guidelines that say modern boards have to come with them? I was amazed when I saw my latest 890GX board had one. (And a floppy one of all things).

Soldato
OP

I'm not being all nerdy, actually wondering if there are some legal guidelines that say modern boards have to come with them? I was amazed when I saw my latest 890GX board had one. (And a floppy one of all things).

Don't think there is anymore, Asus have dropped them from their high end X58 boards

Associate

The reason for an ide connection is because this is an overclocking board and sata chipsets flake out when you are pushing xtreme overclocking !!!!

Simply ide being a simple inderface is more stable at higher blk / fsb/ pci-e speeds

easy way to prove is try running at 120 + pci-e speed and not corrupt your Os yet an ide drive donest care

All true ocing board's still have this feature for this reason.
For 95% of users tho ide is no longer needed.

Don't think there is anymore, Asus have dropped them from their high end X58 boards

Asus are aiming there boards at more mainstream users, there latest high end boards are lacking in key areas atm there last oc friendly dual socket board (Asus Z7S WS Workstation) is/was a disaster as there chosen power circuit wasnt able to maintain power long term and created huge voltage spikes that killed both the motherboard and the expencive chips.

Anyhow back on topic great thread

Last edited:
Associate
NathWraith, for mounting the Mega's did you replace the backplate and use the additional backplates that are shipped extra in the box. Also, how easy was it to mount the board with the extra MB supports (re: plastic supports). Lastly, if you dont mind me asking. Is there any difference between the Pro Mega's that you used here and the Pro Mega Shadow's. I like the Mega shadows as it helps me stick with the black 'n' red theme of my SR-2 build.

Cheers,
Colin

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom