Should a bicycle be on the roads

Associate
Never had a near miss on my bike personally, and I have to switch lanes in a 40mph stretch of road and manage town traffic/roundabouts etc.

Road cycling is fine in my opinion.

Permabanned
No way... Id never try to knock them off... ever. Thats really irresponsible.

If they fell off due to a blast from my horn then obviously I would crease myself laughing all the way home, but I would never try to ram them off the road.

Its more a gentle reminder that the roads are for cars who PAY for the roads, and cycling on them is a PRIVILIGE. A FREE one.

Its usually country lanes, or near grass verges etc etc.

The guys who get the most annoyed are the dudes in all the full on '80s style lycra who start flailing their arms and gesticulating obsceneties in an ultimately dispondant rage.

You sir, are a fool

I hope you are 17-18

RDM

RDM

Soldato
I think you'll find cyclists / pedestrians HAVE A RIGHT to use roads, drivers / motorcyclists ONLY BY LICENCE

That's rubbish too. Why do both sides feel the need to throw out these annoying things? Are their own arguments too shallow to stand up alone?

wmb

wmb

Associate
Its more a gentle reminder that the roads are for cars who PAY for the roads, and cycling on them is a PRIVILIGE. A FREE one.

Here we go another ignoramus sprouting rubbish.

You did know that a survey has shown that people who cycle are generally higher earners, therefore are higher tax payers (published in the Guardian I see to recall). And doubtless almost every adult cycle on the roads has a car at home, and is a home owner and council tax payer as well. So all that considering, perhaps cyclists with the additional VAT they pay on cycling gear as well, have contributed more to the tax funds that road maintenance comes from than a poor, idiotic lazy car driver. Therefore, cyclists have more right on the roads than cars by you reckoning rights are based upon taxation.

wmb

wmb

Associate
That's rubbish too. Why do both sides feel the need to throw out these annoying things? Are their own arguments too shallow to stand up alone?

Err because its true. No motorists has a right to use a public highway, they are permitted to do so having fulfilled certain obligations required by the state.

Cyclists, pedestrians and horse riders on the other hand have a lawful right to use public roads, except were explicitly outlawed (e.g. motorways).

Soldato
Err because its true. No motorists has a right to use a public highway, they are permitted to do so having fulfilled certain obligations required by the state.

Cyclists, pedestrians and horse riders on the other hand have a lawful right to use public roads, except were explicitly outlawed (e.g. motorways).

It's a fair point.
An unlicensed/banned/disqualified driver can still jump on a bike or a horse and use the roads, even though they aren't allowed to do so in a motor vehicle.

Caporegime
Having just almost been hit by a cyclist who was running a red light while I was using a pelican crossing, I'm going to echo the sentiment that cyclists on the roads are fine by me, so long as they follow the bloody rules.

Soldato
cycling home today was ok. until a parked car tried to drive off over me.
stupid woman "didn't see me"
maybe she'll see the mark down her car where she hit me!
bike seems ok tho!

Caporegime

Oh seriously

It's free to them because they don't damage the roads, they don't have exhaust fumes for a start, nor do they majorly damage the road due to tire ware.

So you get annoyed when they're on the road keeping healthy, AND when they're on the pavement? Out of your way? Christ, where can they go!

I cycle, and drive a car, and people like you just suck

Soldato
cycling home today was ok. until a parked car tried to drive off over me.
stupid woman "didn't see me"
maybe she'll see the mark down her car where she hit me!
bike seems ok tho!

I experienced almost exactly the same thing. I braked just in time though.

Associate
I read the first post, but not the rest of the thread.

I read recently (can't remember source) that road users contribute £46 billion a year to the treasury in road tax and fuel duty.

Cyclists pay zero.

On that basis alone, I think bicycles shouldn't be on the road because they get in my way.

:)

Soldato
I read the first post, but not the rest of the thread.

I read recently (can't remember source) that road users contribute £46 billion a year to the treasury in road tax and fuel duty.

Cyclists pay zero.

On that basis alone, I think bicycles shouldn't be on the road because they get in my way.

:)

Perhaps you should read the rest of the thread then, because your naive opinion of where you think the money comes from is totally wrong!

Associate
The OP question should be:
Should cars be on the road?

Cyclists have more right to be there than cars and many people will agree, have a look at Bike Friday and Sky ride.

roads were made for cars and goods vehicles. they most certainly were not made for pushbikes, so dont even go there.

Associate
roads were made for cars and goods vehicles. they most certainly were not made for pushbikes, so dont even go there.

Think he's saying that bikes have right of way, which they do, IIRC.

I honestly don't see the problem with bikes.
They hold you up for about 5 seconds if you get stuck behind one in traffic (and the nice ones get out of your way to let you pass).

You can't hit them unless you really aren't paying attention. Or if its one of those random cyclists who don't know how to use roads.

Maybe cyclist road lessons should be compulsory?

Soldato
When I got my licence in 1989, driving wasn't the chore that it is today. We pay through the nose just to be sat in traffic.
Public transport is no alternative at all, as trains are already packed to bursting I can't remember the last time I was able to sit down on the Manchester train.
I am a big petrol head (or at least I used to be) I spent last summer tinkering and driving a Westfield.
However when all is said and done the roads would be better for everyone if there were less cars.

Back
Top Bottom