Cherry MX Switch question

Associate
I'm looking to buy a Filco Keyboard and had decided on the one with the Brown Cherry MX Switches. Unfortunately, they are out of stock at the moment. Are the Brown Switches best? I'm moving from an old cheapo MS Keyboard, so don't have a point of reference for the MX Switches.

Associate
Hi.

Stolen from another forum I lurk around :)

Brown switches are quiet (quieter than I expected after watching youtube vids), though there is a pleasing knock sound if you're typing enthusiastically and bottoming out keys with a bit of force. It's a lighter touch than IBM/Unicomp buckling spring, the engagement point isn't as pronounced. Downside with the keyboard is that the keys go a bit shiny after not a great deal of use, however this doesn't seem to be happening on mine; maybe it's a slightly different plastic used on the blank keyset.

It's one of those, you get one and it feels somewhat different to the rubber domes you're used to. Then a few months later, for whatever reason you're forced to use a rubber dome (in my case my computer stopped working and I needed a qwerty keyboard to debug and resolve the issue), and it's at that point you realise just how dull and mushy a typical keyboard is to use and just how utterly great your Filco really is. =)

On the topic of blues/browns, given the choice I would have chosen the Cherry blue switches over the browns for the increased tactile feel. But blues are louder than browns and since this was a keyboard for work I had to take the sanity of my work colleagues into account!

Associate
OP
I'd looked at the DAS and Steelseries 7G in quite a lot of detail and settled on the Filco due to the Filco not having a small backspace key and generally looking a little better IMHO. I also like the fact that they do all 3 switch types as an option on the Filco, and the slightly easier availability in the UK

Associate
Appears you're looking to order from the same place I did, the browns were out of stock when I first went looking and I snapped one up when they came back in stock near the end of June so they must be popular.

As for the brown switches themselves I like them a lot, they don't require a lot of force so I get no noticeable fatigue over long periods of time like my old logitech and the tactile bump is there but not overly noticeable at least not to me when typing at speed, but overall its a very nice experience in pretty much every way.

One thing to note the browns are quite loud when you bottom them out which you probably will after coming from a rubber dome keyboard like I did, so the blues will have the bottoming out and the sound of the click which is too much for some.

I'd recommend you go watch some youtube videos and check out the site Brian8bit posted for some more accurate sound recordings and opinions on the different switches on offer.

Associate
There is supposed to be a Tenkeyless version of the Filco available in UK layout later this year. If that is available with blue cherries I think it will be a big seller.

Rgds
Binty

Associate
I'd looked at the DAS and Steelseries 7G in quite a lot of detail and settled on the Filco due to the Filco not having a small backspace key and generally looking a little better IMHO. I also like the fact that they do all 3 switch types as an option on the Filco, and the slightly easier availability in the UK

Are the Steelseries 7G available in UK layout, if so I would possibly consider a purchase? With the high end keyboards, the UK layout is not always available but at least with Filco and Das they have the UK layout in several switch options.

Rgds
Binty

Associate
I find out that order from elitekeyboard + ship is cheaper than buy from keyboardcom if you buy more than 1 item :).

If you buy for game + typing and dont want to have 2 difference keyboard then I suggest go for Topre real force.

Also I highly recommend the wrist rest from Filco, this is the best I ever have.

Associate
OP
I find out that order from elitekeyboard + ship is cheaper than buy from keyboardcom if you buy more than 1 item :).

If you buy for game + typing and dont want to have 2 difference keyboard then I suggest go for Topre real force.

Also I highly recommend the wrist rest from Filco, this is the best I ever have.

You'd have to pay import tax on that too, wouldn't you?

I ordered the Blue MX one yesterday after looking at the Youtube videos. Can't wait to have a play with it.

Are the Steelseries 7G available in UK layout, if so I would possibly consider a purchase? With the high end keyboards, the UK layout is not always available but at least with Filco and Das they have the UK layout in several switch options.

The Steelseries 7G is available with the UK layout and availability is much better than the Filco or DAS, it just has a stupid small backspace key which would annoy me...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom