windows 7 licence

Associate
hi guys. i have a windows 7 premium licence on one pc. if i install windows 7 premium on that pc presumably it gets rid of windows 7 home premium and lets me use the licence on another PC in the house right? can someone confirm that as long as it isnt on two pc's at once i am fine? thanks

Associate
OP
ok great. do i have to deactivate it in any way or can i just install windows 7 professional over the top of the home premium to get rid of it? is there a cooldown time like i cant activate another pc within 24 hours of the code being used on a different pc?

Soldato
If you activate the same Product Key twice in one day you will probably trigger over the phone activation, this is a quick process involving you talking to a robot.

If you have the older Win 7 install for a while you should have no issues.

Is the Home Premium a Retail license? If not, you can't use it elsewhere. But you can install Pro over the top.

EDIT: You may be able to perform an AnyTime Upgrade actually - just do a search for it in the Start Menu search box. You basically put in the new Product Key and Windows activates the extra features.

I am not 100% sure if they Product Key is updated or not, though. But I would have thought it possible to reuse Premium elsewhere [as long as it is not OEM]

Associate
OP
premium is a retail licence but the pro isnt. i think its fine though, i downloaded the pro ISO (legaly i should add. my collage has a deal with microsoft) and i thought i had to install it on the computer i downloaded it on (i thought it was an aplication type thing, not a burn to disk thing) but turns out i just burn it to a dvd and can chuck it on the other pc. thanks for the help guys

Back
Top Bottom