Corsair C300 vs Vertex 2E

Associate
I'm still stuck choosing which one of these 2 to buy, I'm leaning more towards the Vertex 2E at the moment, as I only have a SATA-II Motherboard and no room for another PCI card to fit in for SATA-III.

I'm thinking I could possibly justify the extra cost of the Vertex as the write speed is much greater and I won't benefit from the extra speed of the C300.

Any owners of the Vertex around to give warnings/praise about it, there only seem to be C300 owners on here that I've seen. :p

P.S. The drive will be used for OS/Apps, mainly programming/3D modelling and office applications, I'll have Steam on there, but games will be sat on my F3.

Associate
Thiras, so basically its an boot and apps drive? what do you need epic write speeds for then? you only install them once?!?!? (and patch now and again), Is it worth an extra £32?

Associate
£32 = 10 Pints of beer ;)

Either drives are good drives, I just personally think the C300 64GB is the better boot drive in terms of value and performance.

Associate
Yeh I have the C300 64gb with the asus u3s6 card that give sata 3 and use 3 and it working very very fast. I get about 375mb/s max read with atto. It like going from dial up to broadband. I cannot go back ever.

Soldato
I'm still stuck choosing which one of these 2 to buy, I'm leaning more towards the Vertex 2E at the moment, as I only have a SATA-II Motherboard and no room for another PCI card to fit in for SATA-III.

I'm thinking I could possibly justify the extra cost of the Vertex as the write speed is much greater and I won't benefit from the extra speed of the C300.

Any owners of the Vertex around to give warnings/praise about it, there only seem to be C300 owners on here that I've seen. :p

P.S. The drive will be used for OS/Apps, mainly programming/3D modelling and office applications, I'll have Steam on there, but games will be sat on my F3.

Stuff to consider.

Will you transfer drive to new system in the future, when motherboards come with Sata 600 as standard?

How expensive is it to deal with OCZ RMA if drive fails nearing end of warranty period, .e.g. international postage? Think Crucial RMA is in Scotland, but check.

Soldato
Right 2cents i went mental and got the 256gig c300 for my mac, words can not describe the speed you get from it! In osx (not put w7 on yet) the number of bounces an application does on the dock tends to reflect the time it takes to open it up. The best example of how fast these things are in read times, it used to take about 1-2 mins to get word to open (not the best written ms application) and about 20-30 bounces. Now 2 bounces and 5 seconds!

One day sata3 will be standard (or at least available to everyone all the time) iv got a sata 3 drive ready for that day :)

Soldato
I had ordered a 40gb Vertex 2E but after reading this changed for the 64gb c300 i hope you are all right i do have a sata 6gb board mind.

Soldato
Personally I'd go for the sandforce based drives if you are looking at 60GB, the C300 really comes into it's own when fully populated with flash (eg the 256G model). 70MB/s maximum write speed for the C300 64GB model isn't particularly impressive. Just my personal opinion though, don't want to start a flame war.

Associate
Stuff to consider.

Will you transfer drive to new system in the future, when motherboards come with Sata 600 as standard?

How expensive is it to deal with OCZ RMA if drive fails nearing end of warranty period, .e.g. international postage? Think Crucial RMA is in Scotland, but check.

Your warranty would be with the retailer, not the manufacture, so it wouldn’t really matter would it? And I think most manufacturers will pay the postage on in warranty goods these days, not sure if there's any law surrounding it though, if you buy through amazon they have a really good refund policy well worth paying an extra few £s for in my opinion.

Soldato
Your warranty would be with the retailer, not the manufacture, so it wouldn’t really matter would it? And I think most manufacturers will pay the postage on in warranty goods these days, not sure if there's any law surrounding it though, if you buy through amazon they have a really good refund policy well worth paying an extra few £s for in my opinion.

Only for the first 12 months.

I opted for the 2E. It costs only £140inc if you shop around i.e. only £30 more than the but I think the Sandforce controller swung it for me. It just seems to be the best option for all round use and the higher IOPS at 4K.

Soldato
Personally I'd go for the sandforce based drives if you are looking at 60GB, the C300 really comes into it's own when fully populated with flash (eg the 256G model). 70MB/s maximum write speed for the C300 64GB model isn't particularly impressive. Just my personal opinion though, don't want to start a flame war.

I had previously the Intel X25-M 80gig had to sell it though, that had speeds Read: Up to 250MB/sec, Write: Up to 70MB/sec so this drive running at Read:Up to 355MB/sec Write: Up to 70MB/sec should be sweet.

Back
Top Bottom