Do you read the manual when you get a new car?

Soldato
Only for specific bits I cannot work out on my own, which tends to be rare. In the S2000 the one thing I did not work out on the test drive was where the fuel filler cap button was, I asked the dealership and they showed me.

I think I consulted the manual once or twice after that for some random info.

It can be quite cool to go through though, only really if its going to reveal something you did not know about however.

Soldato
I usually read them yeah, sometimes the is useful info in there, i.e the Volvo S80 requires super unleaded, if you run it on regular it will be down on power, this is in the manual yet its not something you would expect for a 2.4L N/A Volvo

Soldato
Chipperhead said:
Do you read the manual when you get a new car?

No, I write it.

/cliché

I didn't read the manual because my car didn't come with one, and furthermore if it did, I'd have a hard time reading it as it would be in Japanese.

It's not as if they are a lot of complicated systems in my car. A car where electric folding mirrors and Climate Control are "luxuries".

Soldato
Yes. As said by someone about turning full lock and wheel arch removal... it's the simple things like this that although you might not remember the full details it will at least jog your memory in the future to go read the manual again.

It really depends how much you "care" about knowing everything about the car as possible. If it was some **** heap or a car that was merely for A->B->A I doubt I would bother!

Associate
I always read it for an hour or so when I first get it to get the basics - often whilst sat in the car. Then I read more bits over the first few weeks of ownership.

I probably wouldn't do the same with a diesel economobile, though. In fact, I didn't when I owned one.

Soldato
Moving from a Mondeo LX to an E92 I most definately had to read the manual. A couple of times. Especially as I went to pick my gf up after getting it and couldn't work out how to unlock the door from the inside :eek:

TS7

TS7

Soldato
You learn of features that you didn't even know your car has, so yeah there's no harm in investing half an hour flicking through the manual.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
When I was a kid I used to study the handbook for hours :p
If it was there, I'd read the rental cars' papers too.

I have a quick look through these days when I get a new car, but I just use it for reference now.

However, I did have to look in our 5's handbook yesterday when trying to locate the "information on location/destination" section of the sat nav. I always forget where it's gone on the iDrive as they've hidden it somewhere retarded :mad:

Back
Top Bottom