Pick a car from this list

Soldato
1. The 335 I feel wouldn't add enough benefits for the increased costs. It is the current model and very pretty looking (imo).

Soldato
I couldn't pick any of them as I would need a Touring model for my pet lab

If a Touring model was available.....

I personally prefer the x35d over the x35i however I would probaly buy a 335i Touring as they generally are better spec'd and cheaper than a 335d. When I was looking at what was available a large majority of the 335ds had little to no optional extras which means you end up with a 335d Touring with no leather, no xenons and no idrive I assume these are ex lease/company cars where no options have been added to keep the cost down.

Soldato
335i all day. I don't do enough motorway driving, or often have passengers nor care about "luxury" enough to justify a 5 series.

My housemate has a 330i and while it is very nice who can say no to more power + better remap potential.

Would very much like a 330i or 335i next, Diesel is a no no but depending on what is available on the 2nd hand market and depreciation differences I would consider a 330i. Not too sure about running costs. Are they that much worse other than fuel?

Last edited:
Soldato
3 coupe vs 5.. Well I'd have the 3. Mostly because it looks so much nicer but partly because the E60 is so ugly ;) :D

Tricky one though.. Between 1 and 2 but leaning strongly towards 1. It's the reliability concerns that would get me. It's one of my main criteria when buying a car (at least relatively speaking based on what "segment" I'm looking at, and it's one of the reasons why I choose the ST over something BMW) and would just annoy me if it kept breaking. I don't mind a bit of added complexity, but only when it's proven. A naturally aspirated 24 valve 6 cylinder engine is a traditional design that just works :) I do like a nice NA petrol engine. Plus the fuel economy. Is 272 bhp vs 306 and half a second of 0-60 time really going to be much of a hindrance in real terms, being realistic?

But you can't deny the sheer power and flexibility you'll get from the 335i. I guess it comes down to whether *you* think the extra cost involved is worth it. As for the driving dynamics, will you notice day-to-day?

Yeah.. Number 1 for me. First paragraph of post #19 sums it up nicely.

Don
3) BMW 335d M Sport Coupe (E92)

I'd put police stickers all over it and have my wicked way with fit girls by the road in exchange for letting them off what ever offence i make up

would also allow me to transport all my gold to switzerland cheaply thanks to amazing economy and boot space

Associate
Plus isn't finding a 330i in the right spec/condition/mileage etc going to be a nightmare given that BMW only sold about 4 of them? Should be much easier to a find the right 335i/335d.

Associate
My Choice
[TW]Fox;17046682 said:
2) BMW 335i M Sport Coupe (E92)

Pros: Twin Turbocharged engine with 306bhp. 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. Plenty of performance. Lots of potential as well, a remap gives you 350bhp. Big twin exhuast. A properly 'fast' car. Would suit an Auto well, if thats your bag. Hydraulic PAS instead of Electric PAS in the 330i.
Cons: 30mpg combined. Reliability concerns. Some people comment that its less 'fun' as a 'drivers car' than a 330i.
Summary: Fantastic way to have a half decent reasonably 300bhp car that drives well.

It's a close fight between the 330i or 335i, i instantly want the 335 however stories of reliability would concern me, however i know i would regret not getting the 335i if i bought the 330. Hence I'd get the 335i and hedge against the reliability issues by doing my best to buy from a "trusted" source were I have faith that it wasn't abused and purchasing a 3rd party warranty.

- 30mpg doesn't bother me, used to such consumption
- Tuneable
- Hydraulic p/s

Soldato
The Coupe shape is great IMO. Then would have to be a petrol cos i dont do diesels :p

But seriously after going in Simons Z4 with the 3.0 Twin turbo it was superb, real grunt from anywhere.

330i would be the more all rounder for obvious reasons and doesnt become a real liability when out of warrenty like other cars have the potential to.

Saloon, hmm nah. Id be looking at the Jaguar stable, even if its competitor (at the moment) is the class above (5 series)

Soldato
My preference would be the 535d, with a remap I'm sure it's quite a bit faster than the 530i. Although, if I wasn't doing a reasonable mileage then it'd be the 530i to avoid the inherent problems with driving a diesel around town.

I've got no reason for preferring the 5 over the 3 other than the fact that I prefer saloons to coupes :)

Man of Honour
OP
In isolation the 330i is an absolute masterpeice. Beautifully smooth, no dagdag, almost diesel levels of fuel economy (Well, 6 cylinder diesels), 272bhp yet it has low CO2 and even fits into a lower tax bracket. It has to be one of the defining car engineering acheivements of the past 10 years, surely?

But then you park it beside a 335i.

FWIW, specified properly (Cream Beige leather, black dash top, pro nav) the E92 interior is actually very nice.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;17047013 said:
In isolation the 330i is an absolute masterpeice. Beautifully smooth, no dagdag, almost diesel levels of fuel economy (Well, 6 cylinder diesels), 272bhp yet it has low CO2 and even fits into a lower tax bracket. It has to be one of the defining car engineering acheivements of the past 10 years, surely?

But then you park it beside a 335i.

FWIW, specified properly (Cream Beige leather, black dash top, pro nav) the E92 interior is actually very nice.

Yeah but if you park a 335i next to an M3..

There's always going to be one better.

Back
Top Bottom