Bad driving instructors

Man of Honour
My driving instructor kept pointing out hot women walking about and girls in short crop tops or skirts.

Dirty old man.

Brilliant bloke otherwise in his little 106. His wife is an instructor too!

Caporegime
My driving instructor kept pointing out hot women walking about and girls in short crop tops or skirts.

Dirty old man.

Brilliant bloke otherwise in his little 106. His wife is an instructor too!

Same with my instructor, though he wasn't an old man.

Found him very funny.

Associate
My first driving instructor was a nightmare, no patience and a very short fuse. Would explode with every slight mistake.
He was very red in the face, obviously suffered from high blood pressure. I had about 4 lessons with him and then changed to somebody else.
I heard a while later that he had been out with somebody on a lesson and asked then to drive him home as he wasn't feeling well, he was dead within the hour from a massive heart attack.

Permabanned
I had three instructors in total, but I stopped and started with lessons etc.

First was on my 17th birthday, I have about three lessons with him. This chap had "taught" my mother how to drive (she still doesn't have a licence!), and whilst he was a funny, likeable bloke, I didn't rate his instruction skills.

Second was a female instructor in New Milton, she'd make me pay for a two hour slot each time, and just make me drive to Bournemouth and back each time, I nipped this in the bud after two lessons.

Third was back on the Isle of Wight, decent bloke, very knowledgeable and focussed on teaching you how to drive rather than little bull**** tricks that the others tried.

I passed first time after 8 lessons over nearly two years with just on minor.

Associate
After sitting and waiting 30 seconds (I had time to start the stopwatch on my watch) for a cyclist to pass by the junction which the examiner had just stomped on the dual controls at, I asked him politely to leave the car and walk back to the testing station (about 20 houses back). I then called my instructor and we filed a complaint. The examiner retired a month later.
Not a myth. Oh and I failed of course due to his godawful failure of judgement.
It was an old chap in a tweed jacket with leather elbow bits (like your history teacher), flat cap, glasses and a bike that was older than time but I'm pretty sure the examiner couldn't see far enough to assess his lack of speed (walking pace) before deciding on a quick fail for me :)
Passed with no issues at all next time out.

My instructor at the time was a decent chap I had no issues with, unlike my first instructor who reminded me of a rat on amphetamines who hated having anyone else in the car with him :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a brilliant driving instructor who again was very proud of her high pass rate and was more concerned about getting me to learn to drive to a high standard in different areas above and beyond test level, rather than just learning the test route. Surprisingly I passed first time :p

Associate
My advice to anybody learning to drive would be to only go with recommended instructors from friends & family.
The number of advertisements for instructors of the last few years has massively ramped up, no wonder a good portion of idiots have slipped into this important role.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
I had an excellent driving instructor. He was private and got a great deal of business so he was never interested in trying to make as much money as possible off of pupils. Didn't waste time had me doing round-abouts and three-point-turn in my third lesson. Did my test in sixteen lessons and passed with a minr.

I know of friends who have had driving instructors pinch / punch them. Another two who hadn't been in fourth gear and were on there seventh and eighth lesson (Yes, everyone learns at a different pace but give me just about anyone and I'm sure I'd be able to have them driving safely at 30mph in eight hours of lessons).

Soldato
It amazes me how bad some driving instructors are. Typical example is this morning on the A13 towards Essex. A learner was driving happily at 40mph, in the middle lane, in a 50mph limit. :confused:

Associate
Mine was a couple of years younger than me which I thought might seem weird but he was excellent, he didn't mind if a lesson was running over and gave me a free hour on the day of my test.

Didn't mess about either, did a 3 point turn on my 2nd lesson and 70 on the dual carraigeway which seemed mad at the time.

Failed my 1st test after 10 lessons with 1 serious fault, and passed my 2nd after 2 more lessons.

edit.
I know of friends who have had driving instructors pinch / punch them.

wtf lol

Man of Honour
My first instructor - complete ****, really unhelpful, didn't really get on with him, was "highly" reccomended by a family friend but don't know why... he tried to touch up my sister who was learning at the same time as me so we got shot of him...

The next one was really good, professional, pleasant, took the time to find the best way to progress your skills and cared more about his pass rate than money as mentioned above.

Associate
I had a right London geezer for my AA driving instructor, every now and again he would come out with a very subtle racist comment.

"Have you noticed that everyone who overtook you in the 30 zones today was black."

And he would direct me to let go, or not a car waiting to turn across me depending on the colour of the occupant.

Also failed my first test as his focus got broken into, we had to drive to another AA instructor, with the broken window glass still in the car, and get another focus, only it was a 1.8 derv, I was used to a 1.6 petrol, it was like a rocket ship, and did that thing that diesels do where they pull without any throttle input, very off putting.
Of course my tester was black and the instructor pretty much blamed it on him, and was quite rude to him when he was telling my instructor what I failed on. Although I had the same tester a week later and I did pass, what annoyed me though his mobile went off going round a big busy roundabout near the M1 and I went the wrong way after mishearing his instructions!

Soldato
My instructor was awful, he made me go at such a slow pace and was always panicking when there was no reason, he generally made me think that i was actually being a bad driver but then i just went ahead and booked and passed it fine, he was useless.

Associate
My instructor was pretty awesome, thought my instructor was a bit odd.
The guy had the thickest northern Irish accent I have ever heard, I couldn't understand a word the guy said, He then led me up a load of random narrow back roads and we ended up some how on the magic roundabout in Swansea (which is a case of get on and hope most of the time). He then directs me the nearest MacDonald's, where he orders me to go through the drive-thou.

Associate
It amazes me how bad some driving instructors are. Typical example is this morning on the A13 towards Essex. A learner was driving happily at 40mph, in the middle lane, in a 50mph limit. :confused:

it's quite feasible that this learner was on a mock or real test, and was getting it wrong.
and as you will know the examiner will let you make this mistake, but fail you for it.

Associate
OP
I remember one workmate that was learning to drive a few years ago saying her instructor made her drive into an industrial estate told her pull over and asked her if she wouldn't mind giving him a suck.

She told him to F off your dirty bast*** & got out the car.
He decided to drive off leaving her in the middle of nowere, it took her hubby ages to find her.

when she got back she reported him to the Police, & naturally he was struck off.
But her hubby was hell bent of going beating the crap out of him, but was warned against by the Police.

It looks like few male instructors take these kinds of job just to get close to skirt, and seeing if they can get anything from them.

Last edited:
Soldato
My instructor was great. I remember my first lesson was in an old fiesta in which he made me practice clutch control.

From the second lesson he had me doing reversing manoeuvres and 70mph on the dual carriageway in a brand new 09 plate Fiesta Zetec. It had 24 miles on the clock when I first sat in it!

He was really professional and always 100% alert (apart from traffic lights when he slyly used to check out women :p). He also never hesitated in pulling the window down and making hand gestures at idiot drivers and pedestrians and calling them ****s. He used the C word a lot which I found very awesome.

Helped me pass 1st time. Now my sister is taking lessons from him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom