• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4890 TO A 5770

Soldato
Hi, got a Sapphire 4890 vapour-x but have been offered a good deal on a vapour-x 5770 is it worth upgrading, would i see any performance increase. Games i normally play are L4D, L4D2, COD4 and grid, i also do a lot of HD video editing, cheers in advance.

Soldato
Performance decrease at medium high to high resolutions, amplified when you use aa.

You will see far lower idle power use and lower load power use but the performance loss alone is enough to get a resounding no from me if I was in your shoes.

Soldato
OP
Ok, thanks for the advice guys, what would be a good upgrade from what i have, looking to sell the existing and add maybe £100-150, or should i just get another 4890 and crossfire ( never done that before).

Soldato
You've got quite a good card and you'd need to either get a 1gb gtx 460 for 180 or so and overclock it like mad or invest 200 in a 5850 and overclock that like mad to see any big increase over what you already have.

I'm noticing about a 50% performance increase on crysis/high end games compared to my previous overclocked 4890 vapor-x which im still trying to sell when compared with my recent purchase of a 280 quid 5870 overclocked to 930 / 1225.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the replies. So really the only noticable upgrade would be to a 5870 or NV equivalent ?

Pretty much. The 4890 was, and still is, one of the more powerful cards that ATi offer. To be honest you should do what I'm doing, waiting for the next series of ATi cards and hoping there's a price drop on the current 5-series (or if the 6-series is cheap enough) and going for that. Other than that, OcUK are doing 4890s for little over £100 (cheaper than some 5770s) so if your motherboard allows, crossfire is always a possibility. :) Mine only does x16 x4 crossfire, so it's pretty pointless for me afaik.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies. So really the only noticable upgrade would be to a 5870 or NV equivalent ?

I recently bought a 5870.... only now am I realising that any cpu under 4ghz... is actually limiting the gpu, thats how much power the 5870 has!

Also belive people when they tell you the 5870 runs cool and quite, becuase it really really does!

Oh and crossfired 4890 beat a 5870... of course you have no DX11 support.

Soldato
I recently bought a 5870.... only now am I realising that any cpu under 4ghz... is actually limiting the gpu, thats how much power the 5870 has!

Where have you got this rubbish from?

Take a look at this article, admittedly they're using older GTX 285 cards,

but the fact of the matter is if you're running a single card you'll not see the difference between a mild 3 GHz overclock and a more extreme 4GHz+ overclock in the majority of games.

If you decided to add an extra 5870 in then you'll see a greater benefit of having a bigger overclock, but even then you'd probably be fine at an easily achievable 3.6GHz.

I have tested this theory out myself with a number of games and found there was in fact no difference in framerates between a 3.6GHz and 4GHz oc, hence I now have my core i5 running @ 3.6GHz @ stock voltages.

Big overclocks on your cpu are really only going to be beneficial for benchmarking and tri SLi and crossfireX, or you're running some ridiculously low resolution which would be a waste of a high end card anyway ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
4890 to a 5850 is a small step in performance....

If you want DX11, sell your 4890, and get a 5850.

However, as you can buy new 4890's for £117 I dont think your get much for it.

Maybe £80.... which you then could put towards a 5850.

If I was you, Id hold on too it, and wait for the ATI refresh to come along.... then your jump will be much bigger and worth it.

Although for me, I only just received my 5870 this week, and its a huge performance upgrade for me.

Iv gone from a 3870x2 to a 5870 before I was gpu limited, no Im definetly cpu limited, and thats with a qx9650 running at 3.6ghz.
(cant get it stable any faster)

So a 5870 is plenty fast.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom