How is Android different to the Iphone OS?

Soldato
Caporegime
You can't really base how good an item is on it's sales - especially with the iPhone which WILL shift units simply on the basis of the "Apple factor".

Otherwise, we'd all be buying Nokia 1100s? *cringe*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_mobile_phones

oh completely, i wasnt saying the most sold equals the best, was just a random question :]
given the amount of android phones out there now it would be interesting to see the OS market share.

Soldato
My point is, that, rather than have all this "Android is better" or "iOS is better" crap, why can't it just be accepted that they're both brilliant devices with varying strengths and weaknesses?

Soldato
So, going slightly off-track, why move iPhone threads back to this forum?

Shorter distance to go when flamebaiting?

Either it goes one of two ways:

1. Both sides agree to pack it in with the crap, flaming and trolling, and iPhone threads come back to Mobiles.
2. Everyone accepts that it'll never work, and iPhone threads stay where they are.

Why were they even moved in the first place anyway? Was it because it led to threads getting trashed?

alx

alx

Soldato
so? for 99% of that it takes 1 click anyway. have no need for knowing the weather anywhere generally, no need for system info cluttering up my home screen. its an extra click away should i need anything like that.
its only a small percentage of users who will actually want to do anything like that with their phones, the rest have no interest :p

I was just giving examples, there's a lot more that can be done than the few example I gave but I can see I'm not going to win this :p

All I'll say is I'd rather have the option to customise and have what I want on the homepage than not.

Obviously Android is not for everyone and this isn't meant to be a rant against iphones, more just to show what Android can do :)

alx

alx

Soldato
So, going slightly off-track, why move iPhone threads back to this forum?

Shorter distance to go when flamebaiting?

Either it goes one of two ways:

1. Both sides agree to pack it in with the crap, flaming and trolling, and iPhone threads come back to Mobiles.
2. Everyone accepts that it'll never work, and iPhone threads stay where they are.

Why were they even moved in the first place anyway? Was it because it led to threads getting trashed?

I would expect, that like the Consoles forum, if iphone topics were moved back here it would start of with lots of trolling and baiting but calm down are a few weeks. Eventually everyone would get it out of their systems and it wouldn't be such a problem to have iphone discussions in this forum.

Also, I agree with the sentiments above that both Android and iOS have their adv/disadv but overall both are pretty decent :). Choice is always good

Soldato
The fact I can install anything I want on MY phone.

Want to install a web browser on a iPhone that doesn't use the iPhones Java Script Engine? You can't, because Apple don't approve browsers that use their own :rolleyes:

I had an iPhone 3G and the HTC Desire really has shown me that there's better devices out there for less money.

Soldato
The biggest difference is cost imo.

Although iOS is good you've gotta bend over and drop ya shorts for 2 years to own one.

Fairly easy to find a high end Android device for about half the cost which makes the choice a no brainer to me.

Soldato
Both have their benefits, but both are very similar. As pointed out customisation is the greatest benefit of Android, whereas generally the iPhone would be easier for a less technical person to use and setup to get the most out of it.

No one can decide for you, the deciding factor for me was cost. I just can't see the logic in the much higher cost in getting an iPhone over a Desire when overall they are very comparable.

Consigliere
OP
Sidewinder, let me give you some honest advice.

You're really best off hauling yourself down to your local Orange/O2/Vodafone/T-Mobile shop and having a play with the phones for yourself. The really only similarity between the two is that they have a "grid" of icons. Everything else is different.

So honestly, go have a play. :)

Yes that is my aim. Just thought i'd ask as well. :)

Both have their benefits, but both are very similar. As pointed out customisation is the greatest benefit of Android, whereas generally the iPhone would be easier for a less technical person to use and setup to get the most out of it.

No one can decide for you, the deciding factor for me was cost. I just can't see the logic in the much higher cost in getting an iPhone over a Desire when overall they are very comparable.

Seems fair, good advice.

Associate
I can't add much more then already has been mentioned, but some things to think about.
Not all Android phones are equal. A Galaxy S, HTC Desire or Motorola Milestone will all feel very different to use despite all being Android. This is mostly down to how they are "skinned". So while one device may feel polished and complete, others may feel a little "rougher". Typically they tend to be stock Android.

The other thing to bare in mind are the Google services. You'll only get Google Maps (with turn by turn navigation) on an Android phone. Ditto for anything else they bring out. Bare in mind how important those things are in addition to all the other points made.

Caporegime
One thing I like about the Galaxy S is how it's interface skins the app icons in an iPhone style. I'm a bit OCD and like my icons to all look a uniform shape and size. :D

Associate
Until you've actually seen and used it, you might not fully understand why it's benificial, but believe me, its far better.

The iPhone will have it soon enough, I'm sure.

Seeing as the yearly update schedule is over: the iphone might get it next June and not before.

Caporegime
oh completely, i wasnt saying the most sold equals the best, was just a random question :]
given the amount of android phones out there now it would be interesting to see the OS market share.

smartphonemarketshare.jpg

Man of Honour
Seeing as the yearly update schedule is over: the iphone might get it next June and not before.

I wasn't suggesting it would get it as an update currently, just that Apple must have something like that lined up for the future, its very innovative and very popular.

Of course, when Apple make some widgets and they 'do it the right way' :)rolleyes:) we'll all be hearing about it for years to come.

Back
Top Bottom