Lotus Exige's

Man of Honour
Tell me about them, assume total ignorance. Not really thought about them that much but a mate just mentioned he is considering one and it got me thinking, might be an interesting toy for a short time and though I've driven Elise's and Exige's in the past I actually know very little about them and there seems to be 70000000000 variations......per model year. So, if you were say spunking 30K on one, which is the one you'd buy and why? I know some of you boys have one so help me understand what's what, what's to look our for. Can't justify big money right now on a toy due to other commitments so this is more like a fix. Will of course have something for daily use but £30K on a weekend toy to accompany the MX5(s) is appealing right now.

Lotus Exige's, talk to me.

Man of Honour
OP
...and I will of course go to the Lotus places/forums, but seeking a summary rather than weeks of research.

Soldato
S1 Exige - very highly tuned and somewhat temperamental K-series engine (~190bhp from a 1.8), apparently needs a lot of care and attention compared to the later models. Supposed to be the most hardcore Exige, very loud and thrashy, very hard, very race car....

S2 had a high revving 190bhp Toyota VVTI 1.8 lump (ala the Celica 190), and they also did some supercharged variants of the same engine (in typically confused/'limited edition' Lotus fashion there were different power outputs with differences including intercoolers and injectors rather than just the engine map). 240R is a 240bhp version, Exige S had 218bhp, and I think they also did a 260 Cup version - am sure you could guess how powerful that one was.

240R was the first supercharged one, Lotus made 50, and categorically said they would not make a series production supercharged one. Then promptly ****ed off those who bought one, by releasing the Exige S - though it was lower powered than the 240R, it was much cheaper. The 260 Cup was released later and had some additional weight saving and more power than them both, along with carbon fibre spoiler and other bits and bobs.

The S2 Exiges could have had many more options to make them more liveable day to day - the touring pack added air con, sound deadening and even some carpet (imagine!). They also did a track pack which added harnesses and adjustable suspension. On most Lotus forums you'll get the S1 owners slating the S2 Exige for being lardy and soft in comparison but its all relative...the S2 is still pretty much 'race car for the road' compared to most cars.

To my mind the Exige is amongst the best looking cars you can buy, for any money! Amazing looks and presence - if I could afford one I'd have one, a real dream car for me :)

Last edited:
Soldato
What he said /\/\/\

Another variant is the Performance pack which has 240bhp and a larger roof scoop (mowhawk), AP 4 pot front brakes and variable traction control/launch control.

For 30K you're looking at a 08 or 09 performance pack car with under 10K on the clock.

If you're looking to sell quickly, get one with air con as the ones without sit around for sale for ages.

Neil.

Soldato
I wouldn't buy without AC, pointless.

You say that but then reconsider when it costs pretty much £1000 minimum to fix any problems with it. And problems are quite common. The pipes that run along the sill often need replacement for some reason.

Mine has AC but frankly the thought of it going wrong does scare me :o

But yeah, an Exige without AC does hurt resale.

Soldato
Get the Porsche you want, this wont scratch the itch for long :)

This.

Every post you make Housey about cars puts a firm image in my head that you loved your Porsche so much and consider it to be probably the best car for you - so anything else is going to disappoint.

Associate
Good man :cool:

First off the bat - if I was using your cash I'd be throwing mid-twenties at the '07 Exige S 220.
This would leave a few quid for warranty, fresh boots & brakes, plus some choice mods to take her up to 240 horses, including a more vocal exhaust.

Back to the Exige lesson!;
Will & -Neil- have outlined the different power variants & touring/performance packs perfectly.
While it may look like Lotus have took the pee with the endless 'limited editions' it has kept the business afloat, but bottom line is - you do NOT buy a brand new 'limited edition' Lotus & not expect its parts to be rolled out as optional extras within six months.
Something to also keep in mind is that no matter which Exige you have it can always be upgraded to the latest spec as they all share the same platform & most items are essentially 'plug & play'.

All colours other than BRG & Ardent Red are factory cost options - cheers Lotus!
Other Lotus cost options are air-con, harness kits, lightweight wheels, 1-way adjustable suspension, TCS, LSD.

For a mini-exotic running costs are brilliant.
The yearly service is under 250 sheets with the option of brake fluid & coolant changes being an extra 50 bob each.
Being a little 1800cc Toyota unit with a chain-cam we keep long-term service costs down plus the MPG is rather splendid for the performance.
Vehicle Tax is cheap & mine has whizzed through both of its paper tests.
Depreciation is also rather kind once the first couple of years have passed, which should hopefully continue as Lotus may be introducing a Renault V6 to power the next gen Exige along with a price hike...

Another item to consider is your proposed usage, as I intended for mine to be for mainly road use I didn't want the restriction of a harness setup or the limitations of the A048 tyres.
The new Toyo R1-R tyre should offer a best of both Worlds option, I believe a full set weighs in at ~£500.

As I am sure you can appreciate Lotus ownership isn't without its testing times...
Mine suffered from a none firing engine at the OcUK RR10 meet - which fixed itself a week or so later.
I also believe -Neil- has suffered a gear-box problem - fixed after a couple or hours getting his hands dirty.
The downside of the Exige is the engine, while the supercharger adds some mid-range & out-right fire power it doesn't provide a pleasant sound track due to the lack of cylinders. A fruity exhaust & filter helps.

In terms of the brand I'm very proud to be part of the Lotus family.
The fundamentals that Colin Chapman built the company around continue today & the vast majority of the general public are very fond of the badge.
As a massive Formula 1 fan I love that they have returned to the sport with such a successful history behind them second only to Ferrari.
Driving the Exige on the road it has been quite surprising & humbling the attention it receives, always a positive response. Having camera-phones & children point in your direction never gets boring :)

For my interests at this price the only other cars I would consider are the Caterham R400 & Megane R26.R.
Ultimately my goal is to have a 996 GT3 RS, until then the ownership experience & costs of running my Exige should hopefully fill this gap.

I guess a couple of pictures of mine from a recent trip to Wales & a Car Limits course with my brothers MX5 would add a little colour to this thread!

fdxbuq.jpg

wl6r9w.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom