• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So who remembers 3dfx?

Soldato
I had an Orchid Righteous and a Voodoo 3 3000 in my time. Firing up the demo game from the Orchid was a real 'Woah!' moment.

The Voodoo 3 occupied a place in one of my all time favourite PC builds. :)

Oh yeah, Falcon 4 on a BP6 with dual Celerons, Windows 2000, and a Voodoo Banshee - sexy Glide goodness.

...and hard drive loading times from hell! :D Killed the experience for me.

Soldato
I had the Orchid Righteous 3D voodoo1. Seeing the transformation of software Quake to OpenGL was one of the most jaw dropping PC gaming moments.

I miss the little metalic 'click' the card made when the game detected the 3dFX card was present :p

Last edited:
Associate
Went through a few of those voodoo cards.
Had sli voodoo2 then went to voodoo3 then a voodoo 5500. Just prior to that i had some kind of voodoo card, but I can't remember what the heck it was, might have been the Diamond Monster 3d that used the voodoo chipset. Actually after a bit more thinking i'm sure that's right.

edit: No it wasn't a Diamond Monster it was the Orchid Righteous that I had before the Voodoo 2 cards

Last edited:
Associate
I had a voodoo, then voodoo2 card, paired with a matrox mystique. an awsome time, looking for 3dfx patches for older games to play them through again. Then onto Voodoo3500TV, and eventually a voodoo 5500. Went onto a Radeon 8500 after that, but the voodoo 5 lives on inside my Amiga at present ;).

Soldato
Saved my pocket money, went into store to get 2x voodoo 2 for some SLI action.

SOLD OUT. :(

Come back next week we are getting some voodoo3s in.

Next week, went home with a shiny new voodoo3 3000.

Associate
Great cards back in the day, shame they went under but the Voodoo 4/5 cards were pretty awful.

But I think it was the first to give us proper AA...

Soldato
I had their first Voodoo Graphics card, the Orchid Righteous. Full screen only with the pass-through cable. I remember GLQuake running at double resolution (640x480 from 320x240) in 16-bit rather than 8-bit, with filtered textures at double the frame rate. It was amazing. Running in an Escom (remember them?) 5V Pentium 60 overclocked to 66MHz.

One and only 3Dfx card though, nVidia's first TNT replaced it.

Associate
I had the Orchid Righteous 3D voodoo1. Seeing the transformation of software Quake to OpenGL was one of the most jaw dropping PC gaming moments.

I miss the little metalic 'click' the card made when the game detected the 3dFX card was present :p

This. I also got Voodoo Graphics 4MB, bought from GAME in Lakeside. Put it in, fired up GLQuake. going from 320x240 10fps to 640x480 30fps texture filtered goodness. Nothing has every come close to matching that experience for me in terms of performance+quality jump.

Associate
I remember having a pentium 200 MXM cPU and a S3 virge 4MB card and a formula one game that ran soooo slow. On discovering 3dfx and adding a 4MB Voodoo card it ran as smooth as anything. This was a quantum leap in my computing experience matched only by an upgrade from a Cyrix 333 to a K2 450. Happy days.

Associate
I had a voodoo card in my old AMD K6 - it was a looped card that was connected to my matrox card and Creative Labs DVD encoding card. GTA2 looked the nuts with all the bells and whistles on.

I also remember having some sweet virtualisations for winamp that used 3dfx

Man of Honour
I had a Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2 Banshee then moved onto Nvidia Geforce 2 as they were going downhill at that point.

I still remember the click when 3D mode kicked in :)

Associate
I've no idea what I did with the breakout box. Found it a few years ago on my last clearout run and have a horrible feeling it got binned. :(

I'll save the card from the skip though and will have a search but it's likely to be 2-3 weeks. Email in trust. :)

PS - before anyone says 'MM', hardware donations outside MM have historically been allowed, so I'm sure the Dons will be OK with this.

Awesome, I'll fire off an email to you if sirlemonhead doesn't mind :)

Back
Top Bottom